Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Shocking decline since May and now COVID

Has anyone seen their spouse rapidly decline in a short period of time? Since May, my DH has become extremely confused, constantly packs his clothes, hallucinates and is hardly audible.

He was diagnosed with COVID on Sept. 1, hospitalized on Sept. 2. He is still in the hospital and he cannot understand what is asked of him. Has anyone had a PWD come back cognitively from the decline from COVID?

Comments

• Aarron
    Aarron Member Posts: 5
    Third Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

My DH has had ALZ for 6 years. We both had Covid a month ago and I’ve seen a big decline cognitively since then. He’s only 66 yrs old and we were high school sweethearts. Breaks my heart as I’m thinking of placing him in MC as hard as this will be on me. I’m just worn out.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Im so sorry Denise. He might bounce back a little but it doesn't sound good.. Is it time for a hospice or palliative care consult? Always hard to pull that trigger but better too soon than too late.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you Aarron. I am heartbroken. If he doesn't improve mentally and physically, I will not be able to bring him home. He is 213 lbs and 6'2". I can't get him to do anything I ask because he is so confused. I hope you can get some rest and be at peace with the placement.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you M1. I need to hear honest answers to know what I need to do. Between the COVID and hospitalization then a transfer to acute rehab, he is traumatized. I have prayed that he goes in his sleep and not have to go through this. He is in restraints because he pulls things out and gets out of bed. I am going to ask for a geri psych consult, which I should have done in the beginning. Maybe he can be prescribed a med that will help him. I spoke to the doctor and asked if he could prescribe Seroquel around 2 pm (25 mg) and then 50 mg at 7 pm. It really helped him. He agreed to the 7 pm but apparently not the 2 pm.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 802
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Covid led to a big decline for my husband. He started hospice about a month later and has been steadily declining since. I'm so sorry you're both going through this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more