Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Disability vs Social Security at 62

Chammer
Chammer Member Posts: 140
Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH, 61 yo, has multiple health issues. He does not have a diagnosis of dementia but has some cognitive issues. MR Venogram done in May for another issue shows microvascular ischemic changes, supratentorial white matter, and mild global parenchymal volume loss. So nothing definitive for dementia changes. However, his health has significantly declined after an almost year long battle w an ear infection. He is dealing w hearing loss, chronic dizziness and imbalance due to nerve damage from ear infection, peripheral neuropathy, vision changes, hip and low back arthritis. He is working w PT for vestibular rehab.

DH is still working but it is really a struggle. He will be 62 in March. Would it be better financially to apply for disability if he is unable to continue working or apply for early social security at 62?

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I would recommend applying for SSDI first. However, he cannot be still working. You may want to read the rules on SS website first to determine your best path.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    edited September 6

Social security disability usually takes a minimum of two years to get through the process with no guarantee it will be awarded. Even with an attorney. If he had a diagnosis of dementia, it is expedited. You also cannot file for SSDI while working, My brother just turned 62. He’s in extreme heart failure so he went to social security office because he wanted to file for SSDI. Because of his age and length of time it would take, they suggested he may want to think about filing for social security. He chose that option and got his first check very quickly. It’s a bit less than if he had waited til 67, but the odds are, he won’t live more than another year. He’s been out of work for 6 months.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

He could go out on sick leave with a doctor's note pending completion of his medical and neurological evaluation. He already has multiple health issues. SSDI requires lots of medical documentation, but is fast-tracked with a dx of dementia. You might want to discuss your options with a disability lawyer with a no-charge initial consultation.

Iris

• Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 62
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

If he has benefits from work : retirement, short/long term disability policies, medical coverages you do not want him fired for job performance causes.

Talking to a disability lawyer yesterday is the best thing you can do. If he gets fired options and coverages are gone.

Hope he's not driving with the dizziness. (And the drinking you'd mentioned previously).

And if you haven't already, time for the elder law attorney visit to get the paperwork drafted.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

We have our own business(es) so no termination issues - also no short term or long term disability. He has greatly reduced the amount he drinks I think because of changes in his ability to taste and the new onset of orthostatic hypotension. He uses a driver most of the time but does still drive to and from the office. He is aware that his physical issues may soon impact his future driving. With no dementia diagnosis and no doctors telling him he can't drive it is challenging to say an absolute "no"

We are trying to sell one of the businesses and once that is off our plate he will perhaps consider retiring as the other business can slowly fade away. I will need to find other employment to supplement any income he may have from either disability or SS.

Right now it looks like starting SS at 62 will be our best and simplest choice. I don't know that he will have 2 yrs to wait for disability to be approved if and when he is willing to quit working.

• Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 62
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Disclosure : I lost a member of my family due to an impaired driver.

"He is aware that his physical issues may soon impact his future driving. With no dementia diagnosis and no doctors telling him he can't drive it is challenging to say an absolute "no". "

but : "He is dealing w hearing loss, chronic dizziness and imbalance due to nerve damage from ear infection, peripheral neuropathy, vision changes, hip and low back arthritis. "

Driving dizzy? Ear imbalance? Drinking? Your assets and frankly ,sense of social responsibility should be considered. Please stop him from driving- any distance.

Your life hasn't been easy and sadly some tough things are on your horizon, decisions you'll probably have to make alone , and without sharing with him so please don't risk your finances and peace of mind [ getting lawsuit papers from a family he impacted by killing /injuring their loved one] .

My understanding, double check it all, is a) Medicare kicks in after 2 years if on SSDI.- saving you a year of medical self insurance b) while on SSDI he would still be getting inflation increases so his SS would be higher by not early retiring.

These are big choices and won't be easy with his issues but just grabbing an "easy" route because it's quick can leave money on the table. You will need capital gains / tax advise with the business sale pending —why not throw in planning for his future and use that an a reason to see an elder law attorney , get your documents updated and ask about medicare , disability , trusts etc —-before he can't anymore.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more