Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Eye Doctor Visit

I think my dh's eyesight has gotten a lot worse than his current eye glasses can help with. Any suggestions about how to handle a visit to an eye doctor and/or how to find one that is comfortable with dementia patients? He's in late stage 5 with strong aphasia, stiff body and hard of hearing. He will be a handful.

Comments

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

My LO's vascular stroke caused partial loss of sight in his left eye. He wore glasses before the event and I know his eyesight has deteriorated. I do not see the advantage or positives in taking him to the ophthalmologist and subjecting him to test he could not follow directions to and would not change his quality of life (his PCP agreed with me). My LO is in moderate/severe stage, aphasia, balance issues, difficulty walking, no clue what is going on around him. Breaks my hear to see him deteriorate every day. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

My DH used to wear glasses however he no longer does. The dementia has progressed to a point he no longer tolerates the glasses, can't participate in an eye exam and he is progressing into stage 7. I believe he stopped wearing glasses at least 4 years ago. He does have glaucoma which he still see the ophthalmologist once a year for rx renewal. I image that that soon will stop as this disease progresses.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi lhuerta. It very well may not be his eyes but his brain that is causing the problem- he can't interpret what he sees. This is pretty common. My partner has increasing difficulties with both sights and sounds. I'd think twice before you make the effort of taking him for what may be a futile endeavor.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

The last time I took DW to the Optometrist she could not follow any instructions for him to complete the exam. She was in stage 5 at that time and I have not attempted to get her an exam in several years now.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Read about agnosia. PWDs cannot "see" what is in front of them due to the brain damage.

Iris

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

A good ophthalmologist can determine the prescription just by looking at the eyes through the phoropter. If he is capable of sitting still, this might be good enough. As others have pointed out, the progressive brain damage of dementia may be affecting his brain's ability to interpret visual signals.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

my husband complained about his eyes. I took him to the eye doctor and they found nothing. No change in his vision. I sent his complaints to the Neurologist who looked at his last brain scan and her reply was: “Consistent with Posterior Cortical Atrophy” which affects the person’s ability to interpret what their eyes see. A few months later he refused to wear his glasses (and dentures) as the disease progressed. I would talk to the Neurologist about the benefits of subjecting him to an eye exam.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I took my husband to ophthalmologist last month for glaucoma pressure check. He squeezed his eyes shut and after many tries, she guessed the pressure. Prior to this last visit, he was unable to participate in any of the tests. He was able to read big numbers on the screen. Did not know alphabet. He is probably 6 or early 7. I don't know whether continuing the drops will help or what happens if pressure gets too high.

• Lhuerta
    Lhuerta Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Wow. Thank you all for the feedback. I can't imagine him handling any kind of eye exam. He wanders around the house wearing my readers so whatever he is seeing must be very blurred by those. But, it makes sense that his brain doesn't allow him to see things clearly, no matter what. It's the same with his hearing aids which he has refused to wear for the past year. It's heartbreaking to imagine what his world is like.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more