Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is there any hope?

I am turning 50 at the end of the month, I just got the PET scan done and it says I have AD. I have 4 adult kids and 2 grandbabies that are under 2. Is there any pill I can take?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to this online support group, msogge. I'm sorry that you have received this diagnosis. Yes, it is devastating, but there are strategies you can use to improve your functioning and to prolong the early stages. Yes, there are medications to take. There are older medications and the new medication, Lequembi. You can read about them and discuss with your neurologist. In the meantime, read about Best Practices, they have helped me. Please feel free to post often if you have questions.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Welcome msogge1,

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with this disease. I know from experience that your grown children will have you back. My grandchildren have helped me tremendously. They are 4 years old and 2 years old. The 4 year old had helped me with my speech a few years ago. They have unconditional love for you and will help you in so many ways that you will cherish as well as they will. Have you met a doctor who will be helping with with this.

I am on Donezipil/Aricept.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 518
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

We haven't heard from you and I wanted to check back and see how you were doing. It would be wonderful if there were a pill to fix this disease, but there is no single thing that does that, yet. However, there are several medications that do help many if they are started on them at the correct time. When you were diagnosed, did the neurologist not discuss these options? If not, I would make an appointment so you can know what's available.

We want to help you along this path, let us know how you are doing.

eagle

• mrsvent93
    mrsvent93 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I am new here, I was just diagnosed this past Sept. I am 55. My Neurologist gave me 2 medicines to use. One in the morning Donepezil (Aricept) and other is Memantine (Namenda) that I take at night.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more