Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Communicating during an hallucination

This is my first post. I have been reading here for months, learning from all of you, and praying I have half of the courage you display and trying so hard to not project into the future.

I cannot find any answers for this problem. My DH has hallucinations, usually at night, usually not frightening. Doctor doesn’t want to add more meds until absolutely necessary as he has other issues - diabetes and heart- and takes so many pills. I am not sure what stage DH is, but from what I have read, I guess he is moving from early to middle. He is grieving his decline.

Long story, shortened: Twice during these hallucinations he has mistaken where he was on the way to the bathroom. The first time, he was standing in the closet and I was able to redirect him. Last night, he was in his chair in the bedroom, furiously typing on a nonexistent keyboard desperately looking for something. I couldn’t get through to him to get him up and you can guess the rest. The episode does can be brief or last for hours.

How can I break through enough to prevent this in the future? Is it even possible?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I sleep near my DH and am able to waken within seconds of his sitting up. He needs to be directed to the toilet. I talk softly, and touch his elbow to guide him to the WC and then do the same to help him find his bed afterwards. We keep a light on in the bathroom only. Sometimes he wakes in an agitated state and raging, and is not cooperative. Often when I ask him if he had a nightmare that helps him calm down. Then i turn on the lights, and make sure he is fully awake. I take him to another place in the house to distract him, or turn on a symphony on the TV, and help him forget the nightmare so he can go back to sleep. Sometimes it takes a couple hours, but usually a quarter hour. We go to bed early, so that we get enough sleep, though it's interrupted. Best of luck!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum . I think you need to be the squeaky wheel here with the doctor and tell him it’s time for additional medication. An atypical antipsychotic would likely help with this. I can’t imagine what s/he’s waiting for, except that it indicates that s/he doesn’t understand dementia. If s/he’s not comfortable prescribing, ask for a referral to someone who is. Geriatric psychiatrist for example.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

When hallucinations become disturbing, this is the time for medications. Please consult a geriatric psychiatrist. Your DH has multiple illnesses, this is an illness too, that needs to be treated.

Iris

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

this is frightening for both of you. Ask for a referral to a Geriatric Psychiatrist who can best manage medications. My DH also had diabetes & heart issues & they prescribed Risperidone which helped with hallucinations. It takes a week or two to work and they may have to increase gradually. I would calmly tell my DH he was dreaming and to come back to bed. Sometimes that worked. Sometimes he would get dressed and sit in his recliner. I would lay on the sofa and after 2 hours tell him it was time for bed and he would follow me back to bed. If he was trying to find the bathroom I would get up and guide him. Careful! He may try to leave your house. Put night lights to guide him to the bathroom. I put a battery operated LED light on the toilet tank that helped for awhile.

• SPin-need
    SPin-need Member Posts: 4
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thank you everyone for your caring and suggestions. We have lights already but I may add more. I have requested an appointment with Doc as well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more