Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Condom catheter

DH is incontinent at night. He doesn't wake up once he falls asleep. Needless to say he is soaked and often the sheets and waterproof mattress pad also. His urologist suggested a condom catheter ( for my sake). I tried it the other night and had a terrible time putting it on. It stuck to his hairs and I had to take it off. That was very painful. DH was ok with the whole thing. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?? I would like to try again. The cost of the pads in addition to the depends is getting to he a lot and he wets through everything. The latest one I bought said it held 5 cups of liquid. Please help.

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Interesting idea. If he is ok with it, have you thought of shaving him there?

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH had one on in the hospital, and when it was properly ‘attached’, it worked like a charm. However, even in the hospital, there was only one person who actually had success without leakage, and as @Terei suggested above, he did need to be shaved. The unit also had suction which automatically started when necessary, so there was no urine build up to spill out. I believe it was a Purewick.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Purewick is an excellent product- we have used their female device, if they have a male one I would bet its worth investigating. But I second tereis shaving suggestion, and would also look at YouTube for how to videos...

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH used one in the hospital. It kept falling off. After 10 days of the catheter and 14 days of depends in sub-acute rehab he developed incontinence. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

A condom cath can be absolutely amazing, but there is a learning curve. If the process didn't bother him, I would suggest it's well worth learning. I'd probably skip the Purewick though—that's a life changer for women but probably not worth the $$ for a male.

• Maggie M
    Maggie M Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

My LO used Condom cath in hospital but it kept coming off. Regarding the incontinence, I have been purchasing the pull up briefs from Dry Direct. The briefs are amazing and really help with overnite leakage. I also use 3 washable pads at nite along with a waterproof mattress cover.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more