Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is incontinence around the corner?

I searched through old posts but did not find an answer. My DH does not make it to the bathroom in time for peeing. It seems that every time he is having to change his clothes. I will make the necessary changes to prepare for this but is this how it starts or is this just older men issues? He is aware he has to go but just doesn’t make it and he has no mobility issues, he can get there right away. Any precious experience with this happening in this order? I thought incontinence would come and he wouldn’t know it.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Sounds like this it. You can try scheduled bathroom trips (like every 2 hours) but that's a lot of work....

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

If you haven't already, please rule out medical issues - UTI, etc. My mother had this issue sometimes early on. Incontinence didn't follow for many years The regularly scheduled bathroom trips is a good idea and, in my opinion, not much work.

• cavenson
    cavenson Member Posts: 31
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Several weeks ago, my DH who had not been incontinent, began peeing in his pants when he couldn't reach the bathroom; and he does have some mobility problems and walks slowly. After a couple of days using Depends, I suspected a urinary tract infection and took him to the doctor. A urinalysis did show a urinary tract infection, and he received antibiotics. Within several days, he was back to normal and no longer wetting his pants. So, it's definitely worth checking that out.

• Laurie1282
    Laurie1282 Member Posts: 53
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband who is early stage 6 wets himself and pees on the floor every now and then in the night. He does not have mobility issues so wondering too if this is the beginning of incontinence or if he is just not waking up in time to get to the bathroom, or if it's all connected?

• a04723
    a04723 Member Posts: 4
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

My husband would do the same thing at night - not sure if he was confused as to where the bathroom was when he woke up but he would pee on the floor in the kitchen, in his room, in the bathroom and a few times on the carpet. He is still able to know when he has to go and if the aides direct him to the bathroom and toilet he can go on his own. I am not sure if it has to do with the Stage he is in or part of sundowning. The MC unit he is in right now the aides told me that at this stage alot of times they just go where they want - men and the women - they are used to it and someone is always mopping the floors.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH would also have trouble at night getting to the bathroom on time. And sometime he’d end up going in Depends. I noticed during the day when he decides he has to go, he has to literally drop whatever he is doing and rush to the bathroom. I started prompting him now and then. He would snap back at me that he knows when he needs to go. Fortunately he doesn’t seem to mind the Depends at all. The sense I get is that whatever the cuing is that happens in our brains telling us we have to go doesn’t work as efficiently or quickly so there is less time, it is hard for him to make it on time. I could be wrong on that one. It just my sense.

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I got some incontinence underwear for my hubby. They were washable and they took care of small leaks. You need to replace all of his regular underwear with the new ones - even if you switch him to disposables. Don't give him a choice. And then I have heard of LOs searching through the trash for the old garments, so you may have to be really sneaky.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more