Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Coughing and Swallowing

My wife is in Stage 4 ALZ but seems healthy except for serious memory issues. She developed a chronic cough last Winter which persists today. Lately she occasionally has trouble swallowing food. Also her appetite is diminished. I'm suspecting this is ALZ related. Have others out there seen these symptoms?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Karl. A chronic cough can be a sign of asthma, or of chronic gastric reflux. I'd talk to her docs, it's pretty easy to do a trial of a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec or Nexium to see if she improves. But—she could also need a swallowing evaluation. A gastroenterologist may need to see her. I'd be reluctant to put her through an endoscopy, but she might be able to do a swallowing study (done with a thin barium liquid and a fluoroscope). If she has a good primary care doc, I'd discuss with them first.

Anyone with a chronic cough also ought to have a chest xray. This is also pretty easy to do.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Do not feed her steak or any meat or food that requires a lot of chewing before swallowing. It's just too easy to choke on steak.

Iris

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Does she take a blood pressure medication? Lisinopril is in a list of blood pressure meds that can cause chronic cough. For some reason, primary care physicians don’t catch it. My spouse saw a pulmonologist who diagnosed it immediately.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I took lisinopril years ago and I developed a terrible cough. The internist was unaware of this known side effect of lisinopril.

Iris

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Seconding the idea to check meds - the elderly people in my life have had wicked coughs from certain heart/blood pressure meds. Also try meds for acid reflux. A chest xray may be helpful if she can sit still long enough to see if there are any nodules etc.
    A person at one of my support groups had a similar situation - their PWD had a chronic cough and despite a massive amount of tests and tinkering they never could figure it out. Between the person not being able to communicate well plus possibly not tolerating the same tests that a cognitively normal person would it can be constraining. At minimum a swallow study may be in order to help you figure out what to feed her.

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

My LO has diminished appetite and is also in Stage 4. That is common for Alzheimers, and she is also sleeping 16-18 hours a day.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more