Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

In Person Support Group & Volunteering Disappointment

WIGO23
WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

My third attempt at joining an in person support group was a bust. In our prior home, the first meeting I went to, no one showed. The second, (different group) I tried, three people were there. The leader monopolized the meeting with her personal journey and no one was a full time caregiver except me.

Now in the new community we moved to, I could only find one in person meeting opportunity. I messaged the group leader and got no response inquiring about their group.

I made another attempt to network with the local Alzheimer’s community by filling out a volunteer form for an upcoming event. I got crickets!

All of this information about local support group meetings and local events comes through the Alzheimers Association website.

What is going on here? Outdated information?

Surely local, in person support should be better than this! There are so many families affected by this disease. How do we find in person groups?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Maybe call MC facilities near you? Many offer groups. I attended a couple of sessions in two different groups but didn't find them nearly as helpful as this forum.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 847
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

There is an online zoom meeting once a month in my area but I have not attended it. I read about an in person group several years ago but when I tried to go there was no one there. Another in person support group stopped meeting during the pandemic. I went a couple of times but did not find it helpful. This forum is where I have found the most help.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

While I agree that this forum is by far the best support group I've found, I also joined an in-person caregiver support group sponsored by my DH's hospice provider. It is open to the public, one does not have to use their services, and it is facilitated by a very knowledgeable hospice social worker. There have never been more than four caregivers at a meeting. Three of us are caregiving PWD or Parkinson's, one's DH has cancer. Despite different diagnoses and caregiving situations, we have many things in common in our caregiving journeys and have been able to offer support and resources to each other.

The Alzheimer's Association website contains a fraction of the local support groups I found in a web search of my general area (Pittsburgh). Some meet at churches or libraries. As M1 suggested, try MC facilities. Your local agency on aging may maintain a list of support groups. A couple of local hospital systems offer groups. Network with people you know.

As for non-responsiveness to inquiries, I have had that problem, too, especially with online contact forms. I suspect many are simply not monitored or are outdated. My best bet has been to find a phone number and call (not text).

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree with @FMB above. I called the Alzheimer's hotline for my state and got a boatload of information. The person on the phone asked questions and offered services I didn't even know existed. So definitely try that, good luck!

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

Thank you all for your suggestions!

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree with everything M1 said. Try the different facilities. I too find this forum to be far more helpful and supportive. But they can be useful to learn more about various resources in your specific area. Sometimes I find some comfort being in the physical presence with others that really “know” .

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more