Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I have no idea what he means...

Many times I can interpret what my DH is trying to say, or I can give a satisfactory answer to some question even if I'm not sure what he's asking. But a few times lately, he fixates on something and repeatedly mentions it and I have no idea what he means. I take a guess and give an answer but I know the comment will come up again and again. The last time this happened, I misinterpreted where he wanted to go, took him to where I thought he meant and he said "yes, that's it" but then he kept after me again and again over the next few days until I finally realized where he really wanted to go. Now he's on another one…again I'm interpreting what I think he means (he likes his dental hygienist and wants to see her again and I say I have an appointment set up for next month). He asks me at least once every day and seems to get more irritated that I'm not bringing him there. I may not even be right about what he wants. I'm stuck as to what to do! If you have a similar experience to share, please do!

Comments

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW often desperately wanted to go "somewhere" that she could never fully articulate. But the reality, I believe, was she really didn't know where she wanted to go, it was an undefined urge. She would usually load the back seat of the car with a completely random collection of household objects that she needed to take somewhere. I would take her on a drive many, many days, but she could never be completely satisfied. It was the same for just being around the house I believe subconsciously she was used to her routine of chores, activities and hobbies, but could no longer "put her finger" on what all that was and so she just became agitated and frustrated. Distraction was the only partial solution.

So I think you're doing pretty good so far, and maybe there is no perfect answer. Medication may help if the irritation gets too much.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

he has no sense of time so telling him you have an appointment for next month won’t work. Plus he won’t remember what you told him. Many with this disease don’t know what they want or how to express it. He may want to go home not realizing he is home. The best answer is vague. “It’s on our list or I’ll make the appointment” even if you already have one. Then distract with something else like a snack or chore. Please read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which really helped me after my DH’s diagnosis.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

oh….i so know what you mean. For me this is one of the most frustrating symptoms. I so want to help him with something that is so clearly important to him, but I often don’t have a clue of what he want. My continuous guessing seems to only frustrate him. Sometimes I just try to distract him. I’m sorry I have no answers on this one.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more