Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH Forgot His Own Name

This wasn’t as much of a gut punch as DH forgetting who I am. DH had an appt with his PCP this past week and when we went to check in - which he prefers to do himself - the woman asked him for him name. He looked at me and said “What is it?” I thought he was being snarky and didn’t respond. He looked at me and again asked “what is it?”. So I gave him his name. Whoa! Then 2 days later at the pharmacy, he was able to give his last name but when they asked for his first name, he looked to me. He remembered his DOB without hesitation both times. Anyone else have this experience?

Comments

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Yes, my DH has forgotten his birthdate at the Drs office a few times and looked to me for help. I wonder why they can sometimes forget and other times remember????

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My partner asked me this week who I was and who she was. It's astounding what gets lost. And how it fluctuates. Interesting that she knows she loves me, because she remembers nothing of our 30 year history together. She asks me frequently how I knew how to find her (in MC) and is thrilled to see me, doesn't remember seeing me the day before. It's very disorienting and hard to imagine what it must feel like to her.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

@Pat6177 When my father was in MC, he finally forgot his own name. They let him wear his army dog tags so he could look at them and remember. My mother buried him with the dog tags so he could tell St. Peter his name when he got to heaven.

@M1 She knows that she loves you despite not remembering your history together or your names because the deep emotional bond between the two of you requires no names. Her soul knows yours.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more