Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just finished tests

I guess Iam in denial but the MRI and other tests don’t show anything abnormal. My dh has a score of 22 on cognitive test so our gp wants him to take aircept. I know you have all been down this path but it’s just so vague. Is this all there is to this. I guess we just start down the path. Very strange a devastating disease is treated so benign.
thank you all for listening

Comments

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

MRIs and other physical tests are more for ruling out other causes of cognitive impairment that may be curable. Since none were identified, the clinical diagnosis based on cognitive testing is more telling. Still as you are sure to read here, although every case seems to follow a similar course, every case will also have a unique path. That's a reason to stay engaged with this forum and seek info from others that have had similar paths. So in a nutshell the medical community doesn't offer as much guidance as you would hope. Dementia is not like "normal" diseases where things are more defined. But we're here to help.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

staval, Vitruvius is correct. At this point other conditions are ruled out. The path is slow and can be winding . You know what you are seeing with your DH. I felt much the way you do at the “beginning”. Keep dealing with what’s in front of you and plan for the coming years. Sending ((Hugs)) to you

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Well if testing followed currant protocol to the letter then you are at "probable Alzheimers". Now you go down the path but be prepared because there may still be some bends in the road.

Now is the time to get all financial and legal things in place. Also the time to look into Medicaid ifyou think you might need that later.

Read everything you can about caregiving and please use us here. We understand, we care and we are an invaluable source for you.

• staval
    staval Member Posts: 13
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

thank you all. This is so overwhelming and seems to unreal. Iam beyond scared and feel numb. I see all the pain and sadness in these threads and Iam scared I won’t be as strong as all of you. So much is on my shoulders and so much I don’t even know that’s coming.
    This is the only safe place I have right now.

• Barbara'sBeau
    Barbara'sBeau Member Posts: 2
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

It has seemed ( to me ) that the diagnosis of dementia is so subjective ! One clinician will say yes, it is, and another will say no, it isn't. I remember feeling so lost when my Barbara was given her first test. I was feeling like I was the one with dementia, since I couldn't do any better than she could.

As time went on, even though it was becoming more apparent that there was indeed something wrong with her cognitive skills, I would hear all sorts of ideas floated around as to what the actual problem was. At one point, one doctor decided that it was Alzheimer's, but I don't think her medical record ever actually reflected that.

When I was asking around for information on hospice care, there was one doctor who said that Barbara didn't have dementia, but the doctor from the second group I called told me that she absolutely did have it.

Between that diagnosis and her passing - about a year and a half later - her condition, both mental and physical, deteriorated until she finally stopped eating, went to sleep, and died.

Because of the hospice organization, I was able to keep my Barbara home with me until the night she passed, and, as difficult as it was being her primary caregiver, I would not change a single moment.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

my DH’s Neurologist said Dementia-probably vascular. A year later after I sent her a list of his symptoms & behaviors, she looked again at his last CT scan and replied “consistent with Alzheimer’s-Posterior Cortical Atrophy.” It’s difficult to diagnose. The doctors just rule out other causes. Please read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which helped me. Get a DPOA signed now. Don’t wait. If he’s not old enough to get Social Security, file for Social Security Disability. Learn all you can and come here often for info and support.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more