Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Newly diagnosed early onset alzheimers

Hi I’m new here…so my 62 yo husband was diagnosed w early onset Alzheimer’s within the last year. MRI was normal but the “tests” done in the doctors office showed it. So I’m just watching and trying to figure out it he has it. Question, he has always worn his hair short and now he is letting it grow! Besides looking ridiculous haha could this be a sign? Always growing facial hair which he has NEVER had! Anyone else experience this?? Thanks for your time

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome jsmale! I believe you have found the best support there is here. :-)

There are so many small things you will start to notice and wonder, "is that it?" Any one symptom may not be, but the pattern you see is that your dh is changing. What gets annoying after a while is that family or friends will say about whatever symptom you are seeing, "oh, that's not a problem, I do that too," because they are not seeing the pattern that you see day to day.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome jsmale, yes the hair and lack of shaving can indeed be early signs. What I learned from this group is that your DH may no longer initiate these tasks . I had to drive my hubby to a walk in hair place and say he needs a hair cut. For shaving I had to lay out all the stuff needed and prompt him to shave. He often would say I’ll do it tomorrow . Now several years later, we are at the point where I shave him with an electric razor. I hope you keep reading posts , it has been a life saver for me.

• jsmale
    jsmale Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

thank you!! And I agree, very glad I found this site!

• jsmale
    First Comment

That’s so true! I may start keeping a journal. I realize early in the disease there’s not much we can do

• TooEarly
    TooEarly Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hi jsmale, my DW was early-onset as well. I never kept a detailed journal but I did use (and continue to use) a notebook to mark down what I considered significant demarcations. Such as not recognizing certain close people, not wanting to wash hair as often, saying things that showed she knows (somewhere in there) the brain isn't doing what it is supposed to do.

It's a heartbreak, as everyone knows.

• jsmale
    First Comment

I agree….right now I’m just observing but am aware of what’s to come

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

we are also in the earlier stages. DH is 61. For the most part daily life is fairly normal. His taste and smell are off. Everything I make tastes like crap. I think I am use to the word finding and reading his version of “sign language”. He had a repeat MRI the beginning of August. I got a copy of the images on CD. We looked at it together. A week later we were watching tv and someone was getting an MRI. He said hey I thought I was supposed to be getting one of those. It had only been 2 weeks since he had it done. That was a sobering moment

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

so sorry for the diagnosis. Yes, grooming is sometimes the first thing you notice. Read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which helped me after my husbands diagnosis. It gives tips on how to get them to do tasks and the reasons they no longer do them. Next may be not showering.

• jsmale
    First Comment
  • jsmale
    First Comment

oh boy…yea will def be on the lookout for those things

• blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 8
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

My Dw is 55 and was diagnosed one year ago. She spent a week at the Mayo Clinic and after all the tests and having a spinal tap which showed the markers for Alzheimer’s, the diagnosis was made. Maybe you might want to get further tests including a spinal tap if you haven’t done so.

• sherryandwilliam
    sherryandwilliam Member Posts: 40
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband was the same age. Sounds familiar the MRI not picking it up but the tests in office showed each appointment him doing worse. My husband is 71 now. I looked up sometimes when diagnosed at a younger age they have Alzheimer's for a longer time than someone diagnosed when older. Good luck to you. I think they are all so different we all probably notice different unique changes

• sherryandwilliam
    sherryandwilliam Member Posts: 40
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes the days of my husband shaving are long gone. I use the rechargable razor on him and keep his beard trimmed. But still he enjoys looking good after I do it for him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more