Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New Symptoms and Much Denial in Spouse

At first I thought it was distraction. Not following through on plans, forgetting words. Then I thought it was depression. Denied. There was a change in smell and taste. Tests were negative. Now this could be early dementia. My spouse is 58 years old. I told her I was concerned and I was dismissed but she finally agreed to see a neurologist denying that it might be a sign of dementia.
I finally stopped getting frustrated with the hesitant speech and failing to follow through. I realize what it is and what I have to do. I need to be supportive and I need to not take over. This wil be handled in the best ways. Please, share any tips you can on what I should do both for her and for myself. Thank you

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum, you have come to a good place for advice and support. If you look to the right under Quick Links and groups, there is one for new members with lots of useful information. The early days are time to make sure you have legal and financial planning taken care of-you’ll need durable power of attorney for healthcare and finances. She likely has anosognosia, which means she can’t appreciate that anything is wrong-this is not denial, and you won’t be able to reason with her.

Read a lot of threads and you will learn a lot as well as feel less alone. It’s a hard road, especially early onset, and I’m sorry.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Please make certain that diagnosis follows all the steps of current protocol so that treatable causes can be discovered,

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome. This is the place for info & support. Ditto to the other posts. I would also recommend the book “The 36 Hour Day” which really helped me after my husband’s diagnosis. It was recommended by a nurse.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Drbrellie. You do need to take over. Please read about anosognosia, your PWD is not in denial, but is unaware of having dementia. Also is unaware of safety issues and just about everything else.

Iris

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Drbrellie- welcome and sorry for the reason you have to be here! All good advice above. I'm relatively new here and I've gotten so much support from reading what others are going through and reading the advice offered from experienced care partners. I consider this site a primary source of information and support!

Best,

Karen

• Drbrellie
    Drbrellie Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

thank you all. I am comforted and I will learn more. I am off to the new member info. Great advice.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more