Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

UTI or Just a Progression of the Disease.

My DH has been sleeping almost around the clock for the last 3 days and eats only small amounts of food when hand feed. He will walk with assistance but very slowly. He does not appear to be pain. This new behavior came on suddenly. He was walking unassisted, feeding himself and sleeping maybe 8-10 hrs a day prior to the last 3 days.

We do have hospices on board. The RN came out and didn't think he had a uti based on odor from his depends. The RN thought it was the progression of the disease. She didn't recommend antibiotics. However if I wanted she would request them. I agreed with this. However now I am having 2nd thoughts and I am thinking perhaps to error on the side of using antibiotics just in case he does have a UTI. I would not want him to suffer .

I am asking for feedback or advice.

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 290
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

A urine culture would be helpful if you are going to administer antibiotics. At some point in the advanced stages of dementia, it becomes reasonable to forgo treatment of UTI and pneumonia. At some point, living with severe dementia becomes worse than dying of a UTI. Ultimately, you will need to make that call.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree with Midge. I’m not far behind you, my partner sleeps most of the time, can tell me if she’s hungry or if she’s had enough, that’s about it.

I think the only relevant question is whether he’s comfortable or not. If he’s comfortable, I’d leave well enough alone. Even oral antibiotics can have serious side effects.

My own mother was brave enough to go sit with her 98 year old mother and did not treat the last UTI. It was a peaceful passing.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 20

"A study found that using urine odor to identify a UTI resulted in error in one third of cases. "

An untreated UTI can be very serious. I know that first hand. My husband almost died.

I would request a new nurse.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

If your LO is not acting uncomfortable, I would not test or treat.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Marier, my DH has had similar symptoms from time to time, although sleeping maybe a max of 12 or 13 hours. At times it was a UTI but other times these symptoms go away after 2 or 3 days. I don’t know if it’s progression or just one of those unknown things. I do try to make sure he stays hydrated. When he had the UTI’s antibiotics got rid of it. We use those AZO home test strips that I get from Amazon. They haven’t been wrong yet. If positive I get a culture done.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I would request a test before I agreed to antibiotics. It could be progression.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'd recommend getting the home test strips and testing. He could definitely have a UTI with no odor. The RN should know this. I think you have some larger decisions to think about, but get the test strips or culture and see if he has the UTI. Then you can at least make an informed decision.

• jfkoc

You can have what is called a silent UTI…no discomfort…it is just as serious.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Regardless of what you decide about the antibiotics, I would push fluids to see how much of the weakness is just dehydration.

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Thank you all for your helpful thoughts and information. I did do a home test (very difficult at best) No UTI. He is comfortable, no pain and is drinking water a little at time and eating somewhat as long has he is being fed.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Definitely push the fluids. My DH had a lot of problems with weakness once when he wasn’t drinking enough.

• jfkoc

I hate to be "negative" but the home tests are not very reliable so please keep a close watch.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more