Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

update information scam

JJ401
JJ401 Member Posts: 312
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Just received our third call in three days to update our medical information. First call alluded that they were from CVS. Spoiler alert -they were not. Next two said 'medical supply company'. All three asked if I had back pain or leg pain. No idea what they were trying to sell me as my answer was the same each time -- "don't call here again". All the calls came in on our land line. Why was the call answered? I had DH trained not to answer if he did not know the caller, but he has now decided all calls must be answered. So far he answers the phone and then hands the phone to me. No idea how long that will last. There is no changing his mindset. He's decided answering is necessary. Up to now I've been able to leave him alone for an hour or so. Looks like those days are about over.

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited September 20

My DH went through a period of "needing" to answer the phone. He'd jump up and grab for the phone at the first ring. Be glad your DH hands the phone over to you. There was no stopping my DH. He'd be answering questions without me knowing what was asked. So I silenced the landline ringer. (No more smartphone for him either.) Any party can leave a message, and I could determine whether to contact them at my discretion.

Scammers are ruthless!! DO NOT ever answer yes to a seemingly harmless question. They record your voice with the "yes" and will use it as your agreement (to whatever it is they're trying to scam you on). They are targeting seniors!

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 21

can you turn the phone on silent, so that it will eventually go to voice mail?

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Donald Trump called here the other day. He didn’t want medical info though.🙄

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I canceled my landline years ago, use only my cell now, still get spammed but block all spammers and if it's an unknown caller, I don't answer. Check voicemails to screen any unknowns if they leave them. Sad, but it's the times we live in now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more