Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My lifeblood is in MC

AnderK
AnderK Member Posts: 123
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi all, I have not been of much help lately, have not been able to post. As of last Thursday, my Guy has been in a memory care unit, He had a paralysis in mid August, went to hospital for a week, then to a TCU for several weeks.. Now to a memory care facility that, actually, I could live in for $500 more a month. Diagnosis was heaped on diagnosis. Alz, vascular dementia, parkinsons, and perhaps Lewey Body. He has been out of our home for over a month.

I was so worn out from being a care taker, that I think I gave up on him too soon. Is over 3 years to soon. Too soon for washing clothes every day, of spraying down chairs to prevent odor, of being scared that one day, I won't be able to do that. of not seeing my friends for more than an hour before I have to get home, or that, if he falls, I won't be able to pick him up?

But, on the other hand, my home has some peace. I don't start at any sound, wondering if it is a fall, or the cane, or the stair lift, or just a spoon falling on the floor. I have filled his studio apartment with his favorite art, and things.

But he is so unhappy. He doesn't leave his room, except for in his mind. I refuse to give him his ID or credit cards. And that causes an argument. That I am not there, that I don't support him, that I don't listen. He talks about the fact that I am not there…but I need to pay bills, clean the half of the house that I live in, now. Put the fricken boat to bed for the season. I am taking this opportunity to see friends for more than half an hour.

But everytime I see him, I leave crying. I want to bring him home. So sad.

So, I should have lead with this. Should I just leave him there for awhile, without my daily visits? I can't just sit there and listen to NCIS. Should I do, what seems to me, one more step in abandoness?

Thanks, It is 5:30 in the morning, and I am going back to bed for an hour or so.

My heart us broken, my mind is conflicted. I just want to go get him, bring him home.But, that would be at great sacrifice to myself.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Give it time AnderK-and I mean lots of time. No, don’t bring him home. He needs the support and controlled environment that he now has. You did not “give up too soon”—-how on earth could you possibly think that? What you were doing was unsustainable without further support.

I get your DH being unhappy in MC, my partner has never really adjusted emotionally and daily tells me she’s ready to leave. We’re now in our third year, and only now that she is in hospice and mostly bedbound can I visit daily and expect that she will be glad and not angry to see me.

So it is very early days. I hardly visited at all in her first year, and then only if I had someone else with me and stayed in public areas. If we were alone in her room she would inevitably light into me, and this was somewhat curtailed if others were around.

Please keep us posted how it goes.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 847
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

AnderK, You have not abandoned him even if it feels that way right now. You are doing what you need to do to get him the care he needs. You have been a wonderful caregiver and have done everything you could to take care of him at home. Now it is time to let others take care of him and for you to get some much needed rest and restoration. You need to take care of yourself too. I know it hurts and it's heartbreaking. I'm right there with you. My DH has been in MC since January and I still cry. And he still wants to come home but I know I can't bring him home. It breaks my heart every day. Please take care of you now and if that means limiting your visits then that's what you need to do. Give yourself time to adjust to this. Post on this forum, call understanding friends, do something that makes you feel nurtured. Day by day you will get through this. We are all here for you.

Brenda

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

ditto what others posted. Don’t bring him home. You are still his primary caregiver making sure he’s well cared for. When my husband asked to go home, I told him when the doctor said so. Then I changed the subject. He accepted that explanation. Some people tell their LO that the house is being fixed, remodeled, etc and they can’t come home yet. Keep repeating. Stay strong. Get some rest.

• AnderK

Good answer. When the doctors says so. Thank you

• AnderK

Guilt is so invasive. And so incredibly debilitating. Thank you.

• Silverplatter
    Silverplatter Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    So sorry for what you are all going through. My DH is home with me for now. He has AD and I keep hoping God will give me a sign that its time for a home. All they say online is you will know. Well that's not true in my case. I admire all of you. Please do not feel guilt. We all do the best we can.
  • AnderK

Yes, M1. I think he needs the phone, but maybe that is my need. We have a call button on the ones that we have where I can video call him...although I get nervous when he doesn't answer. It allows me to day good night or morning, and also allows his sisters to talk with him. Last night he was all laughing and smiling. Perhaps I needto schedule visits better, to correspond to when his meds kick in. Thanks! Kathy

• AnderK

• AnderK

Thanks. I just skimmed it quickly and will read it in more detail when I have my cuppa in front of my computer. Kathy

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more