Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I Would Pay Money for a Little Anosognosia

As my DW loses her ability to speak and has started becoming more anxious and paranoid, she will say to me, "I am about to lose it all." and then she'll cry. So I cry and think of how utterly unfair it is that she knows, really knows that her brain is failing her.

I know her thinking she has nothing wrong would bring it's own level of frustration and sadness for me, but damnit, I will take some agnosognosia at this stage. She doesn't need to be "here" for every friggin' painful step downward.

Do people develop anosognosia in later stages or is it really an earlier stage phenomenon? I so want to ease her pain and there's so damn little I can do.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hear you , I see my wife changing alittle every week or day. At times I say maybe she’ll stay just like this , but I know better.

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is in the same place as your DW. He knows he has a ‘neurological’ disease and states almost every day that he’s losing his mind. He gets so frustrated searching for words or how to do something - I too would give anything for him to not be so aware of what’s happening and seeing himself spiraling downward. 😔

• northernlady
    northernlady Member Posts: 85
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 25

I never realized this. I'm so sorry.

My HWD has no idea. He thinks his body is just getting old, and that's why i have to help him.

And honestly, with family members pushing me to consider placing him (he's easy going, but I do everything for him), I'd pay for a bit of Anosognosia for myself.

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I've read studies that indicate, the longer a person has dementia, the more likely they are to have anosognosia. In my experience, both my late husband and, now, my brother had anosognosia from the start.

• sherryandwilliam
    sherryandwilliam Member Posts: 40

At first my husband would say he had Alzheimers. Occasionally now he just says he is sick. But surprising he is taking it all pretty good quite the blessing. When he does get emotional about it sometimes I always tell him don't worry I will always be there for him and take care of him and it really keeps him calmed down and I give him a hug.

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72

I hear you. My DW is not as far along as yours but she knows exactly what is happening to her and she is terrified. She is facing this with more strength than I ever knew she had but all I can do to help is assure her that I will be here with her. I feel so damned useless.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Hi Cindy- it’s good to hear the other side of the coin. My DW has anosognosia and I’ve always felt it made it more difficult. But that’s me being selfish , because it has made it impossible so far for me to get help and I’m getting worn out. I’m also sad because I’ve imagined that if she had awareness of this process going on that it would make it possible for us to “go through it together”, and that I might have a better chance of supporting her all the more. Instead, I am alone with it and she blames me for not telling her “things”. The anosognosia changes the nature of our relationship I think even more than the memory loss, loss of words, agitation, anger, depression and all the other wonky stuff that goes on around our house. But I see your point about how shattering it is to see your DW cope with and bear this nightmare.
    My heart goes out to you and EVERYONE on this site!
    💕 to all!

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 666
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My Dw can't form a complete sentence and as she is mumbling about things only she understands, out of the blue she'll say things like "Why do you let me live?" or "I don't belong here", "I'm not ok". It's heartbreaking and when you try to follow up on those comments they seem to be gone from her mind the instant she says them.

• Bailey's Mom
    Bailey's Mom Member Posts: 39
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I never thought of the flip side of this coin. Thank you for making me aware. My DH has anosognosia, but deep down I think he knows that he is losing his abilities day by day and is terrified by it. Sometimes I become so exhausted and frustrated that I don't think of what he must be going through.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more