Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A Deeper Way

I read this today and thought I would pass it along. The words in parentheses are mine. Written by James L . Smaller in Flying Solo.
“When I think about how I leaned on my wife (husband) , I have to say that her (his) support helped me function in some immature ways. Her (his) strength and support continued the illusion that I was a strong man (woman) inside. And unfortunately, my leaning on her (him) let me keep at bay the pressures of life. The pressures ultimately overwhelmed me and I had to lay whole new emotional and spiritual foundations. I learned to be satisfied with being alone with myself; I gave up trying to please everybody; and I learned to be appropriately assertive. I finally stopped trying to meet my father’s (you put in the name) excessive expectations, and I tried to do what I could with the gifts God has given me.”

May you have peace being you!❤️

Comments

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you for posting this. It resonates loud and clear with me. The challenges of my dh's FTD has brought me face to face with myself, my strengths, my weaknesses, and stretches me to my limits, teaches me to grow spiritually and emotionally.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

This resonated with me, too. I often thought my DH was the stronger of the two of us, but in the end it didn't turn out that way. I realized that I had grown strong by handling a lot of really tough decisions for both of us. Looking back, I made the decisions (to move for family support, sell our home, and finally, to place him in MC) and it helped me become more resilient.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more