Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

caregiver needs help

My wife has vascular dementia. She is very articulate, very social and very stubborn. She has had several falls resulting in broken hips and vertebrae, but doesn't think she needs help. I have employed a caregiver couple half-days a week. Generally this provide a nasty response each time the person arrives. Regularly she is quite verbally combative. I need a professional to talk to for my sanity and health. I would like to find a psychologist who has experience in this field. If they accept phone appointments, location would not be an issue. Anyone have suggestions.

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

you might try the Alzheimer’s helpline: 800-272-3900. Also read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which helped me after my husband’s diagnosis. Have you tried telling her that the help is for you? That worked for me. Also if she’s agitated call her doctor and get a referral to a Geriatric Psychiatrist to prescribe medications that may calm her.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Read about anosognosia. This will explain why your DW doesn't think she needs help. She won't. Don't keep telling her that she needs help. Read a lot of threads and learn the work-arounds that the members use, especially in regards to caregivers coming in. Don't expect her cooperation.

Iris

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

you could ask your PCP for a referral. There are online services that gather info from you to find you an online therapist but I’ve never talked with anyone that has used these services. At a minimum, I think ALZ Assoc would be able to point you toward a support group. That might help and might also provide referrals for a one on one therapist.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I was really fortunate. My PCP strongly recommended a referral to a behavioral health org associated with their practice. No idea of the referral mentioned my husbands dementia but l landed with someone who was experienced and knowledgeable about dementia care in addition to all of my related or unrelated issues. We zoom meet once a month. I have found that to be enough for me but she has offered more visits if I felt the need. I recommend going through your PCP. They should be able to refer you to somewhere.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more