Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Medicare visit

ronda b
ronda b Member Posts: 76
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Just a vent. My Dh had a Medicare yearly visit yesterday. Most all of you know the questions that it entities. When it came to the memory (clock )he couldn't do it . Became very agitated. I had the na stop it. She was not happy. I explain he already has the diagnosis and there is no sense in upsetting him. Just FYI last year he could do some of the clock,this year none.

Just upset me why put someone with VD and Alz. Through that.

Just venting.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2

For good results, the results might show they weren’t progressing as fast as they might think. For bad results, it shows the family that they are in decline - the family isn’t just imagining it. There’s a supposed decline of 2-4 points a year. It gives you some idea of when they might get to the later stages.

I think you did the right thing by stopping since it upset him.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Ronda b - my DH had the same experience at his annual Medicare visit last month. I asked the PCP if he needed to do these anymore. She said she would put in the chart not to do the clock and the 3 words again. What really upset me was the persistence of the med asst despite the fact that he obviously couldn’t do it and despite me glaring at her and shaking my head.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

A lot does not make sense to me and I think it may be because so many people are involved….the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and the complications of incorrect info going into the computer systems. It took me 6n months to get my med list straightened out.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

One shouldn't have to "glare" at the medical assistant. She should denote in the records that the patient has become agitated or that the patient stopped participating, or words to that effect. There is no need for the MA to be unhappy. I worked in health care.

Iris

• KellyM
    KellyM Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment

We deal with so much on a daily basis and it’s so stressful to prepare for the visits.

It’s a lot of work !!

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH had one of those tests 10 yrs ago. From there to a neurologist, and he received his Alz diagnosis. No doctor has ever given him any kind of test for his memory after that nor suggested a Medicare Wellness Exam since his diagnosis.
    I would be upset too, Ronda. What is the point? Don’t they go through enough with their memory problems, and then to put them through that every year! It’s hard for me to understand. I’m glad you stopped it. Good job!

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Definitely it’s your right to decline those screenings. I have a child with autism and intellectual disability and used to cry filling out the child development forms because she couldn’t do anything they asked about. I finally asked the office to put a note in her chart saying never to give me those forms again. Why torture him and you?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more