Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

It's time

Jeanne C.
Jeanne C. Member Posts: 802
500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband's progression keeps marching on. His gait has been unsteady and this week he had a bad fall. In the end he had some bad bruising, but thankfully no other injuries. He's had two more falls since. I'm finally accepting that I can't keep him safely at home. I've started the process to place him. I hate this so much. It's breaking my heart.

Comments

• Maru
    Maru Member Posts: 57
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I am so sorry that you have to place your DH into care. My DH is beginning to forget major events in our lives together. That breaks my heart. I know the day may come when I won't be able to care for him. I cannot imagine the pain that that will bring. Sending you sympathy and prayers.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You will still be his caregiver by making sure he’s well cared for. Remember the reasons. For his safety and for your mental and physical well being. Praying for your strength. 🙏 hugs.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 802
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all. I know you're right. It's the advice I'd give to anyone else. It's not easy. Nothing about dementia is. And it helps so much hearing from you. I

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 267
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Big, big hug. I'm so sorry you and he have reached this stage. Sending you strenght

• Gingerooni
    Gingerooni Member Posts: 2
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment

I'm sending you love and super strength. Just know we're all here for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more