Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Activities for Mom, middle stage alzheimers

agregor429
agregor429 Member Posts: 1 Member

My mom gets bored and starts roaming around the house. We are trying to find some activities, but it's difficult. She doesn't comprehend games real well, like solitaire or anything like that on phones/tablets/computers, she doesn't like puzzles, and she is showing signs that she can't comprehend things like words and symbols. She likes music, but that doesn't keep her in one spot. Any suggestions? We've tried painting and coloring too, but she is not interested in those activities either.

Comments

• mabelgirl
    mabelgirl Member Posts: 200
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What as her life before? My mom will fold laundry like a fiend! She also would buy large bags of snacks then put them in individual baggies. So we give her cookies or crackers to set herself up for the week. It takes a lot more concentration than I realized for her. I think these type of simple meaningful activities connect with my mom more than stuff she really didn’t do in her past like crafts , painting , etc…

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

will she rake leaves? Vacuum? My partner loved to clean house and would vacuum every day…

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 434
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

What about exercise? Arm chair exercise videos? It may be difficult if you want her to do the activity by herself. Perhaps, get an aide to spend a little time here and there with her. Take her out walking. Uno is a fairly easy card came. My mom could play Bingo for quite a while. Even taking a card and seeing who has the higher number can be a game played. You may need to adjust how games are played. Are the coloring books and paintings too intricate for her? Maybe something easier. I had to get my mother easier coloring books after a time.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

My mom loved folding clothes, watching tv (news), and organizing things, usually in ways that made no sense to me. Can you give her some projects?

• H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 498
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Does she seem restless or is she just wandering. Does she express that she is bored? Could it be that she is content to wander and you are seeing boredom( I mean no offense, this is so hard to figure out). How about looking through photo albums? I hope you can find something.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more