Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Looking in the rear view mirror

Whyzit2
Whyzit2 Member Posts: 55
25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Why do we spend so much time on looking in the rear view mirror? It is so useless. We ask ourselves those questions that have no satisfactory answers. We torture ourselves with guilt, regret, resentment and remorse. Why? We complain that it is so unfair that our retirement that was dreamed of and planned for ends up in caregiving.

Remember when you were a child and your parents wouldn’t give any attention to your whining? My Mom would say to me “look out the window and you will see someone worse off than you.” That was the end of the conversation.

There are no guarantees in life, life is not fair, are we so important or special that we should be spared uncertainty or suffering? Do we make a mistake in expecting so much out of retirement when some won’t live long enough to “enjoy” it and others aren’t healthy enough to “enjoy” it?
When we look back can’t we just treasure the good things and divert our attention from the bad things? Someone once said of an unpleasant memory when asked about it “Oh, I remember purposely deciding to forget about that.” If we only could learn to do that and look forward through the windshield of our life. We can choose to wallow in our misery and we can choose to find something to be grateful for each day. Where are you at in this caregiving stage of your life.

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney