Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Disability benefits

Hello, I’m new here. My husband who is 48 years old was recently diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. We filed for disability back in March and it still hasn’t been decided on. We are struggling as he is totally unable to work. I guess my question here is has anyone been this route? I know because of his diagnosis his case is supposed to be expedited under the compassionate care. I contacted our congress man to put in an inquiry and our case has been stamp with a congressional inquiry or whatever. Any tips are appreciated. We are on stage 3 of stage 5 waiting on approval meanwhile my mortgage is still being owed.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Have you contacted social security to see what timeline they are looking at? There are also social security disability attorneys that may be an option. When I filed for myself about ten years ago, the attorney took a percentage of the back pay I was given, since you are paid from the date you filed the claim. It was well worth it for me.

• Gtgservices
    Gtgservices Member Posts: 3
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 7

Ours took 2 years... gets stuck in different phases. Just depends on how many people are available to work in it. It's a long process with or without an attorney I've heard. So very sorry you are dealing with this, and everything else.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

We got the help from Allsup, Inc. The process went smoothly and took only 2 months to get approved. It was well worth the fee, which was paid directly to them from SS when the first lumpsum payout from SSDI was made. Good luck.

• katefaye
    katefaye Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I filed June 1, 2024 for early onset Alzheimer’s- heard from ssi they should be done soon. We’ve had the ssi disability interview.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am so sorry you have the financial worries on top of EO Alz - 48 yrs old. That is so difficult. I do not have any experience with disability, but it sounds like you are getting some feedback. Hope it helps. Please drop in often for support and info. God bless you through this tough journey! 🙏🏻

• PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

DH was diagnosed at age 60 in 2021. We filed in October and had payment by end of December. They backdated to the date he stopped working, in this case Jan, 1 2021. No attorney or other help needed.

We did have the spinal tap done to diagnose so there was lab data to support the diagnosis. Maybe this led to the sppedy resolution? Also our SSA person helped us get the forms filled out for our 17 year old to receive benefits based on his dad's disability. These continued until he graduated from high school.

• beachbum
    beachbum Member Posts: 14
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My DH 57 diagnosed EOAD in March via PET scan. I waited until had the results from his neuropsych evaluation/test which was beginning of July. He then quit work and I called for an in person application appointment. We had that in August and I had a couple calls from the medical evaluation portion ( basically about his progression and how he was functioning). Late September they told me he was approved starting January 2025 with first check in February. Mandatory 5 month wait and they pay a month behind. Our office was local and the medical evaluation staff were very familiar with his neuropsychologist and I think that evaluation helped through the red tape . I will say it took 8 months however to get in for an evaluation so there was a lot of “when should you quit work discussions”. I had called a disability lawyer before, hoping would just do process for me to take it off my plate but he said to file myself and call him when denied, but he did suggest getting the neuropsych evaluation first and he also familiar with this office. My take is that evaluation important for SSDI even though was about $500 out of pocket with insurance and a wait. I’m so sorry you are dealing with this and seems like more and more with young onset.
    I am still leary till I see the check clear the bank so to speak

• susanwood
    susanwood Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    It might help to walk into the EDD State disability office if there’s one near you. There’s usually a long line, but you might get a helpful person who can tell you where you’re at in the process, or even expedite it. Bring your loved one and their id with you if possible.
  • CarolinaWren
    CarolinaWren Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I will have to ask about the forms for children. I wasn't aware of it.

• CarolinaWren
    CarolinaWren Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Hello. Has the state contacted you yet? From my understanding, some states take longer. Be sure to watch for paperwork requests. Hopefully you added your contact information on the SS application.

I filed a couple of months ago, but I had started the application in Feb or March but didn't complete it until end of August or so. I had to go back in an complete additional paperwork on the SSA site, and I was recently contacted by the state a week ago.

I understand that financial struggle. We ended up having to take a few early withdrawals from his retirement account, and I took a loan on mine. I work, and he hasn't worked since Jan 2023. I wonder if your bank could assist with a temporary foreberance.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more