Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When to seek hospice assessment?

tiffjoybutler
tiffjoybutler Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi,

My mother is my father main caregiver but I see her increasingly doing more than her body can handle. She is not getting enough sleep because he keeps her up at night. She has to hold him up, and now she's starting to feed him. My father is a different person he was in the Spring. Now he sleeps constantly and barely holds conversations. I am so deeply sadden to see him this way. I worry it will get worse. They say he has vascular dementia but his mother had Alzheimer's so I sometimes worry if he has that. My mom and sister don't think it's time to seek hospice but I do. I can't even talk to my father anymore. His former self has faded but sometimes comes back for fleeting moments. Right now, he is at rehabilitation center because his congestive heart failure built up his fluid and after the fluid drained, his body needs more strength. How can we prove that he needs 24/7 home aide service? When is a good time to seek a hospice assessment?

Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• NizhoniGrrl
    NizhoniGrrl Member Posts: 77
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Talk to the care manager at the rehab about your concerns and placement post-rehab. They should be able to talk to you frankly about his condition and options.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Its certainly not too soon for hospice, but they do not provide 24/7 help in the home. There are inpatient hospices in some locations however, and perhaps you should inquire about that.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 799
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 8

If it helps, explain to your mom and sister that hospice provides comfort care. They will send a nurse to his location weekly who coordinates with the hospice doctor. We also have a CNA who comes to bathe my husband as well as a chaplain and music therapy. They provide a social worker who can help manage care needs (my husband's hospice social worker is incredible). It doesn't mean he's ready to die. It means that he has a team working to make sure that he's well cared for and comfortable. We're going on 6 months with hospice. I didn't think it was time at first, but now I know how much they have helped to improve my husband's quality of life. I'm so glad to have them.

M1 is correct that longterm 24 hour care is not part of hospice or really any Medicare service. The rehab program may be able to extend his care while he recuperates. For longterm care your family is going to need to look at private pay or Medicaid options.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more