Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Traditional Medicare assistance with at home long term care

ImMaggieMae
ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Finally a major candidate is talking about long term care being covered by Medicare for people other than those covered only by Medicaid. I heard Harris talking about it on The View earlier today and now it’s being talked about on several news broadcasts. If only…

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2024/10/08/harris-would-create-a-new-medicare-benefit-for-long-term-care/

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I read about this. Wouldn’t it be nice to be recognized.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Very stunning to see this becoming part of the policy conversations. What a miracle this would be if it were to happen for those covered by Medicare! Thanks so much for sharing this news. I'll find time to write to my reps on this topic yet again - you've inspired me!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

here are financial figures the Washington Post quoted today in an editorial. Cost has sunk similar proposals going all the way back to the establishment of Medicare in the sixties.

“KFF, a nongovernmental organization that tracks health trends, reports that “in 2023, the median annual costs of care in the U.S. were $62,400 for full-time homemaker services … $68,640 for full-time home health aide care … and $288,288 for round-the-clock home health aide services.”

• lenbury
    lenbury Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

It is great to hear it discussed -- that is refreshing but getting a divided congress to pass it and figure out how to pay for it will be a challenge -- baby steps.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 10

never mind. Misunderstood the proposed benefit.

• sherryandwilliam
    sherryandwilliam Member Posts: 40
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I was so excited to see this. It is hard to believe it has not already been implemented with the baby boomer generation aging now there are so many that need this. I don't know if it will end up helping us if this happens but at least future generations. The financial burden being relieved would be a big deal! So we could just concentrate on the care our loved ones need.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Agree completely with keeping politics out of it. My point was that I don’t think the American public is ready to fund this, regardless of party. Would love to be wrong, but the cost would be staggering. I haven’t seen a funding mechanism proposed that could get passed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more