Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I never thought about this !!!!

charley0419
charley0419 Member Posts: 354
100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

first let me say I love this site. But after feeling sorry for myself I thought of how lucky I am to have found this group. That being said I was thinking about how many lives do you think have been destroyed by this illness to the very young. And what I mean is at 40-55 to be married and not realize what’s wrong or even realize anything is wrong has to be hard on a relationship. Yes we know now our short comings but I bet many get divorced or have terrible marriages do to fact they have no idea it’s ALZ. My point this must be very very hard on the young that develops this. I think about how do you make that young no working some young children so sad . I find myself lucky I guess to have realized at 74 my wife has. Guess there is a good part of this mess , Such a sad illness.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

As I see more cases posted about early onset, those same thoughts have crossed my mind. To rely on two incomes (possibly) and to have children, puts an entirely different burden on the healthy spouse.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband started showing signs when our son was in elementary school. DH was in his 40s.

To say it ruined our lives is an understatement.

• ppfrmo
    ppfrmo Member Posts: 10
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I guess even though I think my DH may have started as early onset, we have survived those years and have been retired for many more. I have to say it makes me realize how fortunate that I am to still be able to have him in our home and to still have some freedom. Thank you all for your uplifting support!!

• mzwolcott
    mzwolcott Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

DH finally diagnosed EOA at 60 years old in 2019. 2021 found elder lawyer to create trust and get him qualified for Medicaid in WA state without getting divorced, $11,000. Applied for Medicaid January 2024, got it July 2024. Cashed in both our IRAs to pay off house. Well spouse allowed any income but only $63,000 in assets. DH allowed $2,00 in assets and all his income goes to pay fir care, Medicaid picks up the difference. I am down to $25,000 due to "life happens" home ownership surprises. Not a comforting feeling.

• blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 8
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

As a spouse, are you able to keep your house?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more