Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early On-Set Rate of Down-Slide?

Hello,

My DH has been living with aphasia for the last 2 years and was only recently (within the last month) diagnosed with AD. Since the diagnosis, he appears to be rapidly devolving - - anxiety about a number of different world events (hurricanes, war, covid, etc.) and amnestic symptoms, neither of which had been an issue prior to diagnosis. Does anyone have experience with such a rapid devolution in abilities following diagnosis?
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Early in my DH disease process the news sent him into an anxiety filled night. He also would become extremely agitated at many normal things such seeing large group of people crossing the street, waiting for a bus or walking in a park.

It was helpful in the evening not to turn on the TV unitl after local or national news was over. Medication helped with some of the unavoidable situations. Eventually this faded as he now is in stage 7.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. I don't think anyone can tell you definitively, but early onset generally does progress faster than later onset. Death is likely to come quicker, too. Agree with not watching the news. Before memory care days we only watched sitcoms, things like Andy Griffith, Golden Girls.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

One of the hardest things I had to deal with is the unknown rate of decline. I hear early onset is generally faster, but that hasn't been my experience. My husband was finally diagnosed at age 51 after years and years of testing. Here we are 9 years later, and he's still with us.

I did find that decline happened in steep steps, with long plateaus between.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,351
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@m3ghan

I've heard it said that early-onset tends to progress more rapidly, but it's very individual.

My dad wasn't well oriented to place, so in his mind every disaster— war, wildfires, hurricanes, blizzards, gun violence— was right on his doorstep. As the disease progressed further, he started to conflate the plots of mom's favorite crime dramas as having happened to him as the victim. The man could say what he'd had for breakfast, but he could recall the details of being kidnapped and killed the night before.

I put parental controls on the TV to block all 24-hour news and weather channels and all shows with specific ratings/content warnings.

HB

• ppfrmo
    ppfrmo Member Posts: 10
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Yes I think even if you don’t have any dementia problems the news is too scary to watch every day. We attend a local small Church and I find the people that are well informed on the happenings of the world generally are not happy people! LOL

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more