Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Learning to communicate again

My DW is in her fourth year with Alzhiemers. Lately I find that I have more difficulty understanding what she says. She is unaware thratedat what she says is not always what she means. I get frustrated and that does not help.

Comments

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Fred, I have the same problem with my DH. He is now in Stage 7, and can say little more than "yeah" and "no", but has had expressive aphasia for over a year. It started with word finding difficulties after a stroke. Often he says one thing when he means the opposite. This is part of his expressive aphasia. I have to carefully watch for physical clues to understand what he is trying to say. For example, I will ask him if he wants the rest of is juice, and he'll say "no." Then when I go to take the cup away, he reaches for it to drink some more.

• ppfrmo
    ppfrmo Member Posts: 10
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

It’s hard to know what I mean to say , so trying to figure out what someone else means is really difficult. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My mother has this issue more and more. If I cannot understand at all what she is saying, it's enough to just be reassuring, agree with her and be upbeat. I think she can understand more than she can communicate, so I continue to talk to her like I always did.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My wife talks a lot, but it's mostly just sounds. She also whispers most of the time, often so softly that I can't hear her, which makes it even worse.

• cdgbdr
    cdgbdr Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

We had a speech therapy eval yesterday. I don't know if it will work but she'd like to trial a speech generating device for DH to trial. He's in the moderate stage. He's always been very talkative and maybe this can help.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more