Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New Here

ppfrmo
ppfrmo Member Posts: 10
5 Care Reactions First Comment
My DH of 64 years has had signs of some dementia for over 20 years. His Mother and her siblings all had full blown Alzheimer’s before they died. So it wasn’t hard to think that he might have it. About 3 years ago it came to a point that I just couldn’t cope and I finally talked to our primary care Dr. who we also consider as a friend. Well he did some tests then sent him to neurologist and he has had mri of brain and all say he has mild age related dementia. Dr listens to me and we put him on Alzheimer’s meds and that caused such horrible side affects it wasn’t with it so took him off. He is taking Prozac now which has mellowed him out. He has so many of the same symptoms as his Mom we cared for her in our home for a spell so we saw the late afternoon night time differences in her behavior. DH is now sleeping in the daytime any time he sits down. He has played a harmonica with a small band in the past and is showing interest in doing so again. I have found if I write down what is going on and look back I realize the changes have been happening even if I feel totally overwhelmed.

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

so sorry you are going through this. Keep the list of behaviors and send them monthly to both doctors. My husbands Neurologist looked at his CT Scan again and changed his diagnosis after I sent her the behaviors. I think the only way to diagnosis Alzheimer’s is with a spinal tap.

• ppfrmo
    ppfrmo Member Posts: 10
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

thanks SDiane it just helps to be heard.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more