Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Routine schedule

My SO is 45 with EOA. We had an update visit yesterday with his neurologist. They said he is in the moderate transitioning to severe stage. She also said he can be in this state for a few years still as he is still able to bathe and eat and walk on his own. (Which calmed my heart). With all that being said I got a new job that will be 8am to 5pm. I have care for him from 9am to 5:15pm. For now he is able to stay home for the time I go to work and come home. If he does get scared he knows to go to our neighbors house for now which warms my and their heart too. They are so kind and compassionate tho there is a language barrier. They speak Spanish and my bf does not. Long story short i know that routine is KEY for people woth this diagnosis. Can somone give me a sample or idea of what he and his caregiver can do? While it's not raining ... yet (gotta love the PNW). They go on walks, throw the football. He will be going to speech therapy once a week as he has started to stutter with his speech aphasia. (Wish we could try a low dose of Adderall as I have read that can help with speech and concentration, he also as a kid had ADHD)

Sorry so long but I love this page so much and everyone's advice. Tho it may be hard to swallow sometimes.

We are all in this together 💜

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 847
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hi, MarDel, some things I used to do with DH before he went to MC were asking him to help fold laundry. He folded all the towels and wash cloths; set the table before a meal; clear the table after a meal; dry the dishes; help with meal prep…he could chop vegetables or fruit. We also played a lot of cards. He can still play rummy. When his care giver was here, she played rummy with him and also worked simple jigsaw puzzles. She also brought simple games for them to play. Perhaps you could purchase a "dart board" that uses velcro balls instead of darts. Legos or other building blocks. Ask his caregiver to help him do some simple leg exercises while seated. Listen to music. Sing familiar songs. Watch nature programs. My DH enjoyed nature programs on television or DVD. I'm sure others will give you other ideas. I hope this helps.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 290
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My wife loved jigsaw puzzles during the middle stages.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

For my mom and me what was successful was that each day had a basic routine - when awake, shower, meals, bedtime. We did the usual - washing dishes after meals. She helped with whatever she could - setting table, shopping, laundry, cooking. We modified as the years went on, but she continued to contribute in any way she could. Now she keeps me company as I do things : )

She also went to our local community center a few days a week which was a big part of her routine. She participated in activities, made friends and spent a good part of her day there. She also played scrabble early on, continued to play simple card games, bingo, etc.

I think the consistency of the larger, basic routine was very helpful.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH’s brother and SIL had 60 piece puzzles made that were pictures of us, them, his parents, etc. They sent about 25 of these over the years. He would do them daily, and it would take him 4 or 5 hours. Oh, how I miss those days! I could go to the grocery and church and all kinds of errands while he worked his puzzles. He was always so proud when he finished the puzzle. Then he needed some help from me and from there he just pushed the pieces around the table and could no longer do them. But, they were wonderful while it lasted!

• cdgbdr
    cdgbdr Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My DH watches TV, goes out for lunch, sketches, and watches birds and critters from the porch with binoculars these days. He looks through old pictures online or actual ones a lot. He also likes to listen to his favorite music on CDs or an Alexa type device.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

This may get a bit messy, but DH really enjoyed paint by numbers and finished 4 paintings. By the 5th one, he couldn't finish and had to stop because each time he dipped the paint brush he'd already forgotten which patch he was painting … so sad.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

For painting, they have reusable water paint sets in different styles. These were good for a while for us.

https://www.alzstore.com/paint-with-water-coloring-sheets-p/2087.htm?utm_medium=pla&gbraid=0AAAAADQE7o52WNYKE_FDpf8jLYZQNseZd&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo_G3w_CNiQMVX0T_AR06tjiOEAQYAiABEgLQ1vD_BwE&utm_source=google&gad_source=1&utm_campaign=Campaign+-+PLA+Shopping

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more