Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Resources for spouse?

Are there any support groups specifically for spouses of Alz patients? The spouse dynamic is VERY different from the child dynamic. I’m really struggling with the intimacy aspect and desperately need to talk with people who understand.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

honestly, this forum is the best I’ve found.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

If you are looking for an in-person group contact your nearest Alzheimer's Assoc. office.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

• RetaMeta55
    RetaMeta55 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I found an in person support group through the Alzheimer’s association. Just look up Alzheimer’s support groups. Put in your area and a list pops up. Good luck!

• JH2024
    JH2024 Member Posts: 7
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

thank you. I’ve searched and there are no groups in my area specifically for spouses. I’ve attended a few with adult children but not found much commonality with the spousal issues.

• M1

It may feel hard to bring up intimacy issues here, but it does happen. Probably the most common issue discussed is hypersexuality in a male dementia spouse, and how the female caregiver handles that. The other thing that comes up is loss of intimacy altogether. Both are not uncommon.

• JH2024

It’s totally the hypersexuality in a male patient thing. He pursues me constantly and is so “hurt” when I turn him down. It’s 24/7. He’s ordered all these ED supplements and Rx meds. I can’t yet take away his credit cards. I honestly want to leave him, but I won’t.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Do you know approximately what stage he is? Have you talked to his doctor? There are medications that can help in many cases.

• M1

absolutely, his doctor needs to know right away. Medication can definitely help. Don’t be afraid to bring it up. You’re not alone here, we’ve had plenty of others in the same predicament.

• JH2024

Ok, thanks. I’ll try to communicate privately with his doctor.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 847
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

We went through this a few years ago. His neurologist prescribed some medication that helped.

• JH2024

do you recall the name of the medication?

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

There are probably others, but antipsychotics like Seroquel and Risperidone are two that I’ve seen mentioned here. But every patient is different. I hope you can get this behavior resolved quickly.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

you also mentioned credit cards. He could get in real trouble with those. There are nightmare stories of people with dementia or Alzheimer’s falling victim to scammers, getting into massive debt, losing life savings trading stocks, etc so I would take control sooner than later.

• JH2024

thank you for that! He only has access to a couple of low limit cards. He’s forgotten (conveniently) banking logins, so he can’t do much damage. At this point, he couldn’t trade stocks if he tried. LOL. but crying LOL ;0)

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more