Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another step down

Since his stay in the ER, my DH has continued to deteriorate. Before, he could speak a little and was able to recognize me and say he loved me. Now, he is not speaking, is eating very little, and sleeping pretty much all of the time. As I live 3 hours distant from the MC, it is devastating to make the trip and not have any communication with him, but I want him to know that I have been there. I have asked Hospice what to expect, and they answer that it could be days or months. It has been such a long road, eight years since he was formally diagnosed with Parkinsons and dementia shortly after. He has been in MC for over 2 years. I thought I would be numb to it by now, but every step down brings fresh pain and grief. Just needed to vent, no one understands this except those who have lived it.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm so sorry, I do understand... I will be devastated when that day comes for us and it's not too far distant. For your sake I hope he doesn't linger.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Biggles i pray every day for it to be over. She does not want to live like this. It's okay to feel it and admit it.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

so sorry. Praying for you both.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia