Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I just want more time.

4 years, 1 month, 1 day. From diagnosis to my husband is gone. I don't know how to process. I want him back. I am not even sure why I am writing this. I feel like I just joined this forum, trying to understand the why. And no, I don't understand. He fought hard. It doesn't make sense. I am sad. I am angry. I am numb. I am all over the place. Someone asked me if I felt at peace when I was planning his services. And the answer is no.

The one thing I would like to share for anyone going through this, is do not wait until the end for hospice. It's one of the things I learned from this forum. I do not know who posted it, but I remember reading that families wait too long. My husband had hospice services for the last 3 months, and I cannot put into words what they did for him. And for me.

I just want more time.

Comments

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 267
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh…JLM. I feel you. My DW was diagnosed in March of this year and has been moving so fast. Already in Stage 5. I miss her already, even as she sits here next to me, only partially herself now.

Big hugs to you. I fear that in another 4 years, I will be in your boat.

xoxo

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 290
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

@jlm : I am sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling. I have been caregiving for 8 years and I long for it to be over. From this day forward, I know there will be very few good days for my DW. I just want it to be over for her and me.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 847
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

i’m so sorry for the loss of your dear husband.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

JLM, I am so sorry. I wish there were words I could say or something that I could do to help you. My husband is in late stage 6 or early 7. He is a fighter too, and he doesn’t deserve this. I am sad and often angry too. I want to do whatever I can to make things better for him. And I don’t want it to be over. Wishing you peace.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry to read of the death of your beloved husband. May you find peace and comfort as you grieve. I send my prayers for you.

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry for your loss. May you find comfort in knowing he is healed.

• cdgbdr
    cdgbdr Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I am so sorry for your loss.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

@j.l.m. I am so sorry you lost your dear husband. There is no answer to "why?" This cruel disease makes no sense in choosing whom it targets. Your grief is understandably overwhelming right now.

I agree with you about bringing hospice services on board as early in the disease as the patient can be accepted. My DH has been in hospice care for 10-1/2 mos. They have literally been a lifesaver for me, guiding me through his journey and keeping me from losing my sanity and harming myself. The loving care they show DH is a true blessing. DH is now in late Stage 7 but is stable. This could go on for months, but at least I know I will have our hospice team with me as we all walk DH home.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am sorry for your loss.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. May you find some peace in the days ahead.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,351
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I'm so sorry for your loss. May you find strength and peace.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So sorry for your loss. This is something huge and will take some time, but trust the process. Praying that peace comes eventually.

• ESkayP
    ESkayP Member Posts: 38
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you for posting your grief. There are so many stages of loss with this cruel disease. It seems every time I visit that my mother is losing pieces of herself and pieces of me. The sadness is almost incomprehensible. My heart goes out to you. When my mother's time comes, I know I will be also be torn in two.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. My DH passed Aug 12, just 2 years 7 months & 20 days after diagnosis. He did have symptoms for a few years before. I posted about Hospice because I waited too long although people in this group advised me to ask for them. I couldn’t admit it was time. I miss him so much it hurts but I am thankful he’s no longer suffering. I saw something similar to this and changed it slightly to express how I feel. Praying for your comfort & strength. MY HUSBAND, MY ANGEL. Your Battle is Now Over. No More Pain No More Suffering. I Still Do Not Understand Why This Happened to You. But I Am Proud to Say You Are My Husband, A Great Man, My Soulmate. Now You Are My Angel, So Spread Your Wings Out Wide, Please Wrap Them Around Me Whenever I’m Feeling Lonely. I Will Miss You Always, Until We Meet Again. ❤️🙏

• mathreader
    mathreader Member Posts: 44
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I'm so sorry for your loss. Words can never really help, but know those of us out here are with you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more