Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Traumatic Head Injury and Rapid Decline

Several months ago, my DW was assaulted by an employee at her MCF. The attack resulted in serious injury to her head and a couple of weeks in the hospital. Prior to the injury DW could perform all Activities of Daily Living quite well. I was able to take her out of the facility for dinner and rides around town. To be sure, she was mid-stage but functioned fairly well. After the injury and release from the hospital, she declined very rapidly. Within two months she could not walk, speak or feed herself and was placed on hospice care. I'm convinced this extremely rapid decline was the result of the head trauma. Anyone else seen or experienced anything like this?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hate to say it, but have you spoken with an attorney? Absolutely, her decline is likely related to the attack.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am so very sorry that happened.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

What a horrible experience for your wife and you. My husband who has Alzheimer's fell off the roof of our house and had a traumatic brain injury among other injuries. Since that event, his decline has been rapid. When I have asked his various physicians about the correlation, they seem to be in agreement that the traumatic brain injury has sped up the decline from Alzheimer's.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Yes, I would consult with an attorney.

My DH had an accident with an e-bike. He skidded, went flying off the bike and banged his head on the curb (he was wearing a helmet). He had a traumatic brain injury. That is when he was diagnosed with dementia and the delusions started. He has not been the same since then.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I just hate hearing things like that. How awful for both of you. It is just terrible that they have employees not suited for the work they are required to do. My heart hurts for you both. ❤️

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 267
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so very sorry. That's just awful and I hate that you and your love are going through this.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 847
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm so sorry. What a horrible thing to happen. Like others have said, contact an attorney.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

In addition to seeking legal advice I would have a consult with her private Dr and a Dr specializing in traumatic brain injury.

Note; when corresponding with the MCF please do so in person. You do not want to have a he said/she said situation.

I would not contact the MCF. Let the attorney take the lead!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more