Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Frustrated with the system at KP

DH was diagnosed with MCI 3 years ago after an MRI showed evidence of an old parietal stroke. He has 2 more strokes in the last 2 years and he was finally seen at the memory clinic in May. Cognitive impairment, possible early VD was the outcome. Reassess him in 6 mo. Called to get Nov appt and was told 2 staff quit and he wouldn't be seen until at least January to reasses. Very frustrating. We've gone through 3 GPs in the last 3 years, they keep leaving. Should I ask fir a referral to a neurologist so we can get an actual diagnosis?? Could be VD, ALZ, possibly parkinsonism. His physical health is declining and he wants nothing to do with more doctors but it would be good to get an actual diagnosis. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Running out of patients with the system. Seems like we're falling through the cracks.

Comments

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I think a whole lot of people in this country are falling through the cracks when it comes to medical care, especially dementia of any kind. But it’s not just that, my sister had an echocardiogram that was cancelled today and rescheduled for February! It took my husband over 8 months to find and get into a neurologist who was accepting new patients. We pay way more for medical care than any other developed country, yet our outcomes and life expectancy aren’t as good as many. Something needs to change. I understand your frustration. Get a diagnosis from any doctor you can get in to see. You can work at fine tuning it later.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more