Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When to tell family and friends

My DH was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 years ago. He is ashamed of this disease and didn't want to tell his family; including his daughters. I did tell his daughters he was experiencing symptoms and the results of his tests. They have been very supportive.

He has responded to ALZ medications, but his short-term memory has worsened. He's afraid to tell his friends and family about his diagnosis and believes they will think and act differently toward him.

When did your LO let family and friends know about their diagnosis? How did they respond?

Comments

  • Jeannie44
    Jeannie44 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Member

    Thank you for your thoughts.

  • rockymtngrrl
    rockymtngrrl Member Posts: 25
    Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Member

    I told some close girlfriends and my niece, whom I trust, first. I needed to have a support group and someone to care for him if something happened to me. Then he decided to tell his buddies. All kinds of reactions. Most people don't see any difference. Some of his friends are in denial; and some have had family with dementia so they are here to help. Some family members think I'm 'overreacting ' and 'I act like he's dying.' My niece reminded them that, sadly, he is dying, very slowly.

  • Artworker
    Artworker Member Posts: 4
    5 Care Reactions First Comment
    Member

    My DW was diagnosed with Alzheimers about a month ago - we're both processing and although I've been expecting this for a while she's flipping between accepting and denying or forgetting. The diagnosis triggered a couple really good discussions on good days but she doesn't remember them and I still allow myself to think that she's understanding this when really she's not. She doesn't want to tell family and close friends yet and makes me promise I won't - I struggle with betraying her trust but I am slowly letting close family and friends know. When she asked yesterday if I had told our adult children I said yes and she was fine with it because she forgot about my promise to wait - I'm learning that these fibs are going to be a big part of managing her emotions and anxiety. She's lost so much already and I'm just starting to realize how hard this is going to be. I miss the way we used to talk and figure things out together.

  • caregiving daughter
    caregiving daughter Member Posts: 191
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Member

    I would suggest it's not an all or nothing—rather, it's on a need to know basis. Yes, on fiduciary and children. Yes, to cousin who consistently stops by to visit. No, to cousin that seems more focused on themselves.

  • Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 340
    250 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Member

    Friends can become ghosts , and it may be because of dementia experiences in their life . Called the man who was the PWD's best man at his wedding and encouraged him to call or drop by— silence , then he said " no I can't." His Mom had died of the disease and couldn't face it again , or is a total boor.

    Reminds me of this old song —warning it's an ear worm melody —a lot of people become someone we used to know…. "feels so rough"

  • Maru
    Maru Member Posts: 550
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Your DH's wishes are one thing but there are other factors to consider, as others have pointed out. But, you are the one who will carry this burden and you need people who can listen to you, to help you with being his caretaker. We told our children, who all stepped up in support and in sharing the burden as best as they can. I told our financial guy as I wanted to make sure DH would not call him and make some random change in investments. You don't need to tell all your friends and acquaintances. They won't notice for a long time. Sorry that you find yourself here, but welcome.

  • Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 534
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    I told our family and friends immediately and they immediately began giving both of us a lot of support.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more