Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Problem when we walk or bike

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 818
500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
Member

I feel like I’m being really whiny lately (and maybe “wine-y also 😉) but I have another question to pose to this group of creative thinkers. This has happened a few times now and I am not handling it correctly. We’ll be walking or biking and he wants to go a certain way. Ok, we go that way. But as we get farther away from the car or the house, he is not aware of the distance and direction we need to go but thinks he is. I try to direct him the right way so we don’t get too far away, but eventually he insists on going a different direction, usually the opposite way I suggest. I try to stay calm but I eventually fail, knowing that we’ll have a very tough time getting back. Of course he just gets angry and cusses at me, then goes back to good mood, then back and forth it goes. Today we walked 4-1/4 miles, and it was over 3 miles to get back to the car. So I called a friend to pick us up and bring us to our car.

I’m stuck as to how to handle this - walking and biking are two of the few things we can still do, but now I’m getting hesitant to go. I needed to vent but if there are any ideas or advice out there, let me know!

Comments

  • Marla13
    Marla13 Member Posts: 69
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I think I would ditch the bikes altogether and stick to walking. Setting a timer to turn around would be a good idea or do use loop trails.

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 818
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    We do have several parks with loop trails that we do often. In fact, that’s what I intended to do yesterday so I parked there and he wanted to walk out to the street and do something different. Oh well…

  • MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 1,032
    Legacy Membership 1000 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    Member

    You'll probably need to manage more closely the trails and routes you go. If there's no end to them you probably won't convince him of how far in you are. No amount of reasoning will get through, you just have to work behind the scenes. If you stick to an area that has a built in loop or few options you won't have to negotiate with him. It may be more boring but a way to maintain some semblance of that normalcy. Or be ready to Uber back from various places if you want the freedom of walking anywhere you want. Biking may be a problem, you may have to disable a part and "send it to the shop" indefinitely.

  • CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 785
    1,000 Care Reactions 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    walking with my DW became so annoying for me with her wandering and moving toward instead of away from cars, I stopped doing them with her. Her caregiver takes her now and that keeps them short and safe, as DW doesn’t try to keep walking the way we used to love. Sigh

  • RetiredTeacher
    RetiredTeacher Member Posts: 398
    500 Care Reactions Fourth Anniversary 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Perhaps deciding how far he can actually walk and then setting a time limit, even if it's just in your own mind. Deliberately make an appt, outing, stop at store, bank, lunch out, etc for one hour after you begin walking. Discuss the plan before you go and when you begin. I understand he may not remember those conversations. Tell him you're setting your watch or phone alarm for 30 min and venture forth. When it rings, announce time to go back so we can get to lunch/store/appt on time. Worth a try.

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 818
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    So many great suggestions! Thank you all.

  • oscarpeters
    oscarpeters Member Posts: 5
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Member
    edited February 19

    I’ve been in the same boat, and having cover through sundaysinsurance.co.uk took a load off my mind after a couple of sketchy theft scares. I liked that I could cancel any time and didn’t have to pay anything upfront. The public liability bit was handy too, since I ride in busy areas and prefer not to stress about accidents.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more