Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Meeting with the Neurologist

New to this forum…We have met with the neurologist 4 times over the coarse of the past year. My DW does not understand why we are there, yet we sit and talk about her condition in front of her. It is very uncomfortable for me. When we leave she resents what has been said and voices her dissatisfaction with the doctor. Is this common? How can I most effectively work with the neurologist?

Of course there is no lingering resentment because by the time we get to Olive Garden she has forgotten the session. But she still remembers she doesn't like the neurologist.

Comments

  • Chance Rider
    Chance Rider Member Posts: 392
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    @Possibilities4LO welcome to our community, though I’m sorry that due to your DWs diagnosis you need to join us.

    What you described sounds like your DW has anosogosia, not uncommon with AD. It’s different from denial in that she truly doesn’t realize her condition.

    My husband has this, which can be extremely frustrating for caregivers. I’ve learned not to mention dementia, AD, or even his limitations in his presence.

    To communicate important info to our Neurologist and other doctors, I write out notes that I hand them (unobtrusively) before we start talking.


    I’m still new and learning but the people here will probably chime in with more information. This site has been a great resource for me.

  • trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 1,073
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    Not knowing your wife’s diagnosis, age or stage, I would ask is there a purpose to the appointments and are they a benefit to your wife. I have learned to write a note to the doctors prior to an appointment to let them know my husband does not recognize he has dementia and the word is not used around him and the point of seeing them (like medicine adjustments). I don’t see the point in upsetting him and making him feel uncomfortable. His GP is who handles his medicines. I do have POA for medical.

  • charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 533
    250 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    my wife hates going. Advise don’t tell her about appointment till day of. I write him a letter befor each appointment and give to staff on her progress. They don’t like going as can’t answer simple questions

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more