Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can't sleep

I can't seem to sleep trying to wrap my head around the almost daily changes my DH is having with this disease. For the past 2 wks he had to be wheeled from the living room to the bathroom to the bedroom or he would fall. For the last two days he's been back to walking fine but is unable to understand or communicate. Went to bed tonight and he's talking again but struggling to stand again. It's just sad. I noticed this with him before. As soon as I think I don't have to worry, I'm reminded I do.

Comments

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    so sorry. We know how you feel. Hugs. 💜

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,342
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    We talk a lot her about medication to help our lo with the horrible symptoms they experience with dementia. I think there should be more talk about caregiver health. Talk to your doctor about something to either help you sleep or help with anxiety/depression. You need sleep and living in constant anxiety is not healthy.

  • howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 396
    500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    I am a true believer in trying to protect caregiver health, although a very poor practitioner. I felt all the symptoms described throughout but did little about them. Now that I am looking back on that part of my life, I can better see what I probably should have done. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. I am not sure why I did not do those things suggested. I wonder how many of us do truly try to "take care of ourselves"? I think that as I look back now and try to analyze that part of my life and why I did thing I did, I find learnings about myself. After the battle is lost and I am now alone, i do feel the effects of not taking care of myself so I strongly support the cautions offered to take care of yourself. I now think I did not do those things because of guilt. As i watched my dear wife slip away day by day, her life dissolving in front of me, the person I loved melting away to one who could only sit in silence, staring at nothing I could see, I think I chose not to do things for me because I felt guilty (and still do) that I could do nothing to help her. Yes, I realize that had I become handicapped or worse, I could not have provided care for her, but in the battle, rational thought seems to have been pushed to the rear. If you are like me, take time to look at your decisions, your lack of action to protect yourself, your failing to take care of the caregiver and get help if needed to make change. There are impacts afterwards for our failings in battle to care for ourselves. Caregivers, the lost heroes of Dementia.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more