Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How do we get any sleep?

crtwilliams
crtwilliams Member Posts: 1 Member
Mom has not yet been diagnosed with dementia but has an appt to see a vascular neurologist in May. She has small vessel disease in her brain and infarcts have been seen in frontal and corona radiata areas. Nights are horrible at our house. She isn't able to sleep and wants me to stay awake to make sure she is safe even if she falls asleep. She also has issues with a fib. I don't know what to do. Help is 3 months away.

Comments

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,955
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @crtwilliams

    Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your reason to be here but pleased you found this place.

    It's great that you have an appointment set up, but "help" may or may not be included with that visit. In your shoes, I would make an appointment with a geriatric psychiatrist for some medication to dial back the anxiety that is driving this disruptive behavior.

    HB

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,354
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    Welcome. Would you be able to get into her pcp any sooner? Not that the pcp is necessarily the best resource, but in a pinch. Could you call and ask a nurse about melatonin? Camomile tea maybe. Keep her as active as you can during the day so she might be more apt to be tired in the evening. Avoid anything with caffeine. I doubt any of these will be a true solution, but may help a bit. I think medication is the real answer, but obviously you need to be able to get into a doctor for that. I hope you can find something that helps.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more