Irrational thinking
Comments
-
Welcome. If it is dementia there will probably be no point in trying to reason with them. Most with dementia have anosognosia. This means they are not able to recognize their symptoms or limitations. Im sorry, but I doubt they will ever see the light. You will ALWAYS be wrong (in their eyes). Bringing up these things will only cause problems. It’s best to avoid mentioning anything they have problems with if at all possible. To get things done you work around them. I would recommend you contact the doctor and explain all the symptoms you are seeing and express your concerns and ask for a referral. If there is a patient portal your loved one doesn’t use or you can set up for them, this is a great way to contact the doctor. Once you have an appointment tell your loved one they have an annual physical or the doctor wants to see them about their blood pressure or the appointment is required to keep insurance current (whatever you think they will agree to). Getting a durable power of attorney is very very important. I would recommend telling them that since they are getting older this is something that is a good idea to have done. Maybe even tell them you have decided to take care of these legal matters now as well. I don’t know how you can get them to the dentist. It takes some creative thinking. If they are suffering with anxiety and anger the doctor might be willing to prescribe something. Even that might be a battle. Mom told me at one point she didn’t need medication for her “so called problems with her #-&% mood”. Again I had to use a work around. I waited a few days til she had cooled down and told her the medication was a new vitamin the doctor wanted her to take. Medication can take a bit to figure out and take effect. Maybe then you could get your lo to agree to the dentist. It’s hard! I will attach a few resources that may be helpful.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help