Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lost my mother January 27, 2026

I was my mothers full- time caregiver for her last 10 years of her life with Alzheimer’s

Having difficulties dealing with the grieving process and nobody seems to understand
Thank you

Comments

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    So very sorry for your great loss, @ladyunique60. May your Mom rest in peace now.

    We all grieve for the losses throughout this terrible disease process. We loose our loved ones bit by bit and the only ones who understand fully are those who are experiencing the journey. For 10 years you were a most remarkable daughter. I hope you will find peace and comfort as you navigate stage 8.

    Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

  • jehjeh
    jehjeh Member Posts: 183
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Member

    I'm So sorry. We understand.

    Loss from this disease is very different from other losses I've suffered. I'm learning to give myself time to feel all the feelings. I hope you will do the same. And remember to reach out here anytime.

  • CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 785
    1,000 Care Reactions 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    I'm also hear to tell you that we understand. Please share more if you're comfortable. I bet one or many of us has felt what you're feeling.

    Big hug

  • ESkayP
    ESkayP Member Posts: 96
    Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Now that my mother has passed, I am finding myself in the position to comfort others who are now embarking on the same journey with their loved ones. Two former colleagues, a secretary and a guidance counselor at the high school where I still teach have retired. The secretary developed a profitable hobby as a photographer. She took the photos for my daughter's wedding last weekend. We had a couple minutes to catch up, and her mother is now suffering from the early stages of dementia. She was wondering whether to consider assisted living facilities. The guidance counselor messaged me and confided that she had recently put her husband in MC and wondered if she had done the right thing. The answer was a resounding YES to both of them. They appreciated the fact that I had been through it and could offer informed advice. As a teacher, myself, I am always happy to share my experiences in an educational way. It felt really good to be able to help them. Part of the grieving process for me has been taking away the fear of the unknown for others. I can't prevent the sting of this terrible disease, but I can send the people I care about into battle properly armed. There are more people who understand than you realize. It certainly helps to come here and know we are among friends.

  • howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 396
    500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    It is a shame that this site is often poorly known among those who can benefit the most. I try to promote it and share it with anyone with whom I come in contact who has or knows someone who has a loved one suffering this horrible disease. One of the best things we can do for another is to listen and share our experience and direct them for any and all their questions to this site, a safe place to vent and cry, it can be a lifesaver.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more