Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My Goodness

I’m on an early morning flight back from New York City. I really can’t even express completely how incredible the trip has been.

Honestly. It felt like a series of religious experiences. I came to go to the opera at the Met. At first I thought, “what in the world was I thinking going to ‘La Traviata’ just 2 months after the death of the love of my life”? Nothing like, perhaps, the most tragic opera, where true love is missed as the heroine dies of consumption just as her love finally realizes he must marry her.

I had tears rolling down my face, from my grief, but also from the beauty of voices and music, the great friends and family I have, the love I enjoyed with my DW and this deep connection with the eternal truths of art, love and loss.

I spent the entire trip feeling like I had a direct connection to the universal energy, the universe, God, whatever you want to call it. It kept going with a gospel brunch in Harlem the next day. Incredible gospel music for Easter Sunday! Talk about more incredible voices and music. Then jazz, classical music and spring in Central Park the next day.

I’m certainly still grappling with my grief in a big way, but holy cow! My eyes and heart have never been more open to all that is around me, seen and unseen.

I feel like my sweet Suze is holding that door open for me and showing me that eternal beauty. She changed me in life and continues to teach me. I am so grateful even as I miss her physical presence so dang much.

Though I kind of had to push myself to go on this trip, I won’t have to for the next trip. Music and art has always had this healing effect on me and I’m going to seek out more. I hope each of you can find something similar that does the same for you.

Comments

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Wow @CindyBum I am so very happy for you! Glad you took this wonderful adventure - it was good for you! Gives me hope as I am still in this terrible journey. In my case your posts always seem to come at the time I need that encouragement so thank you!

    💝

  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 3,274
    1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary
    Member

    I’m so happy for you! There’s no reason why you shouldn’t have gone and had a good time. You have to start healing.

  • NannyG55
    NannyG55 Member Posts: 1,417
    1000 Comments 250 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    ❤️❤️❤️

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more