Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Violent episode

Cate2024
Cate2024 Member Posts: 26
100 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
Member

In Canada where we live, we have access to short term respite at a LTC facility. At day 4 of a 7 day stay there was an incident that I am trying to process. Having played hockey at a very high level as a young man it appears he thought he was at hockey practice, started running and body checked a resident, sending the resident flying through the air where he hit the wall and suffered significant injuries. DH is very physically fit and strong with a mental capacity of 4 years old. He had no recollection of the incident. They will want me to take him home and I’m concerned of the risk.

Comments

  • Dan520
    Dan520 Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,940
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @Cate2024

    I am so sorry you are dealing with this situation. It sounds dangerous for all involved.

    I can't speak to the specifics of your situation as I am not familiar with the rights you and he would have in the Canadian system. Is there a local support group or Canadian version of this organization who might have answers?

    HB

  • Bobo59
    Bobo59 Member Posts: 28
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    This has to be very upsetting for you. Your DH may need to be on a medication that keeps him calm. You need to be safe too.

  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 3,274
    1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary
    Member
    edited April 11

    I’ve read through your previous discussions looking for more information. I saw where he’s on a low dose of one medication and a mention of risperidone( sp?)- but that it made him sleepy. I think you are going to have to have him put into a geriatric psychiatric facility to get his medication lined out- regardless of sedative effect. I don’t think you can just take him home because you are at risk of being injured by him yourself. I also think there’s a real possibility he’s going to get criminally charged. I agree that you will be extremely limited regarding any facility that will take him. So I’m flummoxed as to where he would go once the geripsych facility would release him.

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    We usually recommend that your LO be seen by a Geriatric Psychiatrist who is the best type of doctor to manage medications for dementia patients. His medication or the dose needs to be changed to calm him. You are not safe bringing him home. Here's the phone number for the Alzheimer's Assoc of Canada. Perhaps they can assist you:

    1-800-616-8816

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more