Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Do Labels and Simple Written Instructions help?

SoCoCat
SoCoCat Member Posts: 2 Member

My LO misplaces & has forgotten how to use her iphone and mac. She was not able/willing to use a Jitterbug.

Have you found it helpful to use labels like "phone box" or "computer shelf"? What about simple instructions like "press button on right side of phone to turn on"?

Thanks to everyone who posts; I've learned a lot reading all the messages.

Comments

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,342
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    Welcome. I got my mom the jitter bug phone. I did a quick dial (just press and hold a number) for all 6 contacts. I then printed out a list of which number to press for each person. I have it hanging on the wall by her phone. So far this has worked. I have not even tried to give her directions on the camera, texting, of voice mail. I think this would be beyond what she is capable of. But she absolutely insisted I leave the instructions for the phone with her in the nursing home. At first she was upset and wanted her old phone so she can take pictures. This hasn’t been mentioned recently. I think she is getting used to it. I know the time she is able to using the phone is limited. So much just depends on your lo, their history (my mom has never used a computer) and where they are at in the progression. It might be best if she is not on internet sites anyway. There are so many scams and so much false information (dementia cures).

  • lilacgirl
    lilacgirl Member Posts: 94
    Eighth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    I made a written note for my mom on how to call me or my brother on her iPhone— like: “click green phone icon on bottom; choose Favorites. Choose my name.”


    It works unless she is really worked up about something, in which case she might try to dial my number numerous times from the numbers on the Lock Screen, thus locking her phone down for a period of time.

  • terei
    terei Member Posts: 976
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    You can try. If it works now, great. Probably as she declines, it will not be helpful. My mother could read what was written, but could not comprehend the words, so it was not effective at that point.

  • psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 787
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments Third Anniversary
    Member

    My experience was similar to terei's. My mom could read but not follow instructions. I think it depends on the stage your mom is in.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,940
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    IME, the answer is maybe but only for a brief period.

    A couple factors are in play here:

    Memory is stored in a LIFO manner— last in/first out— meaning recently acquired skills and recently introduced people are lost fairly early on. Tech is notoriously challenging for PWD because much of it was learned later in life and is constantly changing. This is why the iPhone and Mac are beyond her now. In a way this is a blessing. The internet is not a safe place for PWD.

    Poor short term and working memory means PWD cannot learn new material. This likely explains the issue with the Jitterbug phone. Even if it's simpler, it would require short term memory to recall how to use it. In my local support group, we had the Sisterhood of the Traveling Flipper TV Remote. One member bought it to help his wife who could no longer manage the Xfinity remote. She couldn't work the Flipper either so he loaned it to us for dad to try. It was a big fat fail here and to the next 2 folks who gave it a go.

    Some folks do report labeling can be of use in the earlier stages of the disease. That said, at a certain point many folks with dementia can no longer read. Others, like my dad, are able to decode written English but lose the comprehension piece. Additionally, your LO would have to remember to consult the written prompts you make for her.

    If you do want to try labeling and you're unsure of her reading comprehension, you could try pictures— either photographs or downloaded drawings from an educational site. This site has a lot of free stuff available.

    https://www.do2learn.com/

    I had an aunt with VD. Early in the disease, she made lists and "how-to" notes on her own which worked for a time. When I bought her 1999 VW, I found an ancient flip phone in the glove box and an 8-point set of instructions on how to place a call with it. This likely worked for some time but her progression was unusually slow.

    HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more