Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Trying new drug for delusions, paranoia...Olanzapine-5mg

We started on Olanzapine over a week ago and it has been helping with the delusions and paranoia. Better mood. The 2nd week started and he dozes off in his chair often. He seems confused at times and memory not good.

There are a lot of side effects with this drug. So even though it has helped, I am worried about his confusion and tiredness. Will have to talk to geriatric next week.

Anyone have experience with this drug?

Comments

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hi, @justbreathe2

    I have a question for you - who started the Olanzapine (ZyPrexa of Lybalvi trade names)? Was it your PCP or a neuro or geripsych? If PCP then I would be concerned about side effects also. If neuropsych or geripsych I would be less concerned.

    From what I read this drug is used when the ‘first line’ antidepressants did not work well for your LO. And you are right - the drug has very prominent warning labels about use for patients with dementia related psychoses. I have a link below from Mayo Clinic:

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/olanzapine-oral-route/description/drg-20071350. I’m sure you’ve done a lot more research on this topic.

    I don’t have any experience with this drug. Someone else may chime in and give you a little more help than I could. I DO hope all works out for you and your LO.

  • justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 155
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    Member

    Thank you jgreen!

    This drug helped only a little after 5 days. The Geriatric doctor said to wait. Sometimes it takes time. Then on the 7th day it greatly improved his moods, delusions, paranoia. Then on the 12th day is when the confusion and tiredness started.

    Today a little better, but still confused. I should hear back from Geriatric doctor on whether I should continue.

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Thanks @justbreathe2 Good that gerontologist is handling this. I hope things work out for you two.

    As your name says - ‘just breathe’!

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more