Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tips for Sundowning

SDianeL
SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
Member

I see many posts about sundowning but not tips to prevent the behaviors associated with it. I saw this today and thought it might help someone.

image.png

Comments

  • Chance Rider
    Chance Rider Member Posts: 392
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Thanks, @SDianeL, this is very helpful. We’re not “there” yet but going to print this out as a reminder.

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 424
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Great information. Thank you

  • Jeff H
    Jeff H Member Posts: 223
    250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    The no caffeine is what worked for me. I switched my DW from diet Pepsi to caffeine-free diet Pepsi. That made all the difference. My DW was hooked on diet Pepsi, but when I switched to caffeine-free diet Pepsi she didn't notice. #3 is great too.

    Thank you SDianeL for this post.

  • persevere
    persevere Member Posts: 350
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    This is very good Diane. I already do many of these but this is good reinforcement.

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Thank you, @SDianeL

  • djr5958
    djr5958 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Member
    Thank you for this. It's very informative.
  • Jeff H
    Jeff H Member Posts: 223
    250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    Has your DH been prescribed any sleep aids? My DW has been prescribed Trazodone for sleep at 100mg. I give it to her about an hour before bedtime. After about an hour of the fidgeting, she then sleeps soundly through the night.

  • mwoolley
    mwoolley Member Posts: 29
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes
    Member

    Thanks for posting that! I am printing it out and will tape it up in my kitchen for reference. Very helpful!

  • trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 1,073
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    That was a wonderful and informative post.

  • bntconley
    bntconley Member Posts: 4
    5 Care Reactions First Comment
    Member

    I had no idea sundowning was a thing. My DH was just diagnosed earlier this week with Early Onset at 48, The doctors never asked about this behavior but he has done this for about the last 8-9 months and it drove me crazy. Makes much more sense now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more