Question related to effect of repetition on memory.
I help a friend go to the gym a couple of times per week. At first, friend could not remember that they had a membership card and that they needed to scan it to gain entry. After several trips, they now always remember. At first, for many trips, friend could not remember how to use the built-in combination locks at the gym (each trip, in order to lock the locker, you enter whatever combination you want, and then use that same combination to unlock the locker). Now, friend is pretty good at remembering which locker they chose and also the locker combination number that they have chosen to use. It appears that they eventually remember things, but that it just takes many more repetitions than average before it sticks in their memory. Is this typical of those with memory issues?
Comments
-
Is it possible the exercise is improving their cognition? I have not seen learning new info is helped with repetition with ALZ, but who knows?
2 -
I’m with terei, usually it’s the other way around. Have you discussed this with your friend? If you can have the discussion you should suggest they talk to their primary doctor during their next visit. A good primary knows how to do simple, on the spot verbal tests to see if anything is amiss.
2 -
some types of dementia don’t affect memory as much as other types so it’s difficult to tell.
2 -
Anecdotally I would agree that with lots of time and repetition some things can still stick. I am a volunteer with a choir designed for people with dementia. For the first few sessions the new folks don't know where they are or how things work. Lots of anxiety, mistakes with the music. We do a ton of repetition and also ask the caregivers to play the music at home for them. By the end of the 16 week session it's totally different. They aren't anxious because they know what they are doing there, they start to remember where they sit, far fewer mistakes, like that tricky rest in the music they were always skipping gets sung right, the music actually sounds good and the whole experience is different. Obviously something about the repetition is getting through, and not for one outlier PWD but for dozens. Your friend may be forming some connections from these routines. That doesn't mean that one day they won't wake up and forget them because that's how dementia decline works, but for now I would celebrate it. The routine and exercise is likely very good for them.
2 -
I presume gym staff can open the locker if combination is forgotten by your friend (or perhaps you accompany your friend each time, so it's not a worry?), but if you brought your own keyed padlock (in a color other than the common black) and that's allowed on the locker, it may be a way to avoid surprises. If you saw a row of black and silver padlocks (almost all the same) it's easy to try the wrong one. A different color would be easy to identify, and you can clip the key to your gym clothes or get a wrist band for keys.
I don't know about how repetition can help but decline in capabilities can occur and your friend may prefer to not be as dependent on something like locating and opening the locker.
1 -
I am quite shocked but today, after being at our house for over 2 months, my Mom was able to turn on the TV with little assistance. I have showed her how to do it many times and unsuccessfully tried to walk her through it several times. She got it today! She has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. I believe that she is well into Stage 4 and possibly early Stage 5. Her logic, reasoning, math and expressive/receptive language seem to be affected much more than her memory. Everyday is different though. It wouldn’t surprise me if she isn’t able to do it tomorrow.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help

